Topics Forums Bearded Dragons What flowers are these?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Zelma Freedline
      Participant
      What flowers are these?

Hi
      Since it was nice out today I’ve decided to take my bearded dragon outside for a little bit. I let him run the yard with a harness on of course. I’ve noticed he started eating these little flowers/weeds. I don’t really know what they are called. I attached a picture. Is it safe for him to eat? There are nothing sprayed on them. I just don’t know if they are safe or not. Could someone please let me know?
      Thanks

Zoodulcis

Although someone else may be able to ID this, just from this picture I cannot. Are these growing in your lawn right now? What part of the country are you in? Has the purple blossom closed up, or does it look like this when still in the ground?

Zelma Freedline
        Participant

Yes they are growing in my yard now. I live in Pennsylvania. The purple is usually open, but when I picked this one out of the ground it closed up. They seem to close when out of the ground.

Zoodulcis

I’m thinking violets, which should be just fine. I will double-check and get back to you.

Zoodulcis

Check out the images at this site and see if they resemble what’s happening in your lawn. If it is violets, that’s fine for your beardie, and fine for you too, if you want to pick a few to toss into a salad.

https://www.thriftyfun.com/Getting-Rid-of-Wild-Violets-5.html

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

That is what they look like. My bearded dragon was eating them like crazy. He seemed to really enjoy them. Thanks for the help.

Zoodulcis

Glad to help solve the mystery. It must be a hoot to watch him snarf down those cute little flowers.

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

It’s a blast to watch him go around the yard and look for them. He seems to get a little mad if he can’t get them out of the ground.
          He also likes his hammock but it keeps falling down. So would it be safe to use something like those hooks that has the glue on the back to keep it up? I’m not sure if the glue would hurt him or not.

Zoodulcis

A very good question. I do not know what sort of glue is on the backs of those hooks, but if its anything in the cyanoacrylate family, they can degrade and release cyanide over time. Tiny amounts, but why take a chance. Here is the advice from another site Small Pet Select:

Let’s talk glue, first. You literally need two ingredients. Flour and water. For mild consistency glue (paper and card projects), it’s one part water with two parts flour. Mix until it’s smooth and you’re ready to use. If you’re looking for a thicker consistency to use for stronger projects, use more flour than water. Mix until you get a thick paste, then heat it up in a pan and use it while it’s still hot.

While flour glue is super useful, it does take quite a while to dry and it’s probably not the best option for really complicated projects. For those, a hot glue gun is good (as long as you’re using a very small amount), but make absolutely sure that the glue stick says “non-toxic.” This is must. An. Absolute. Must. However, you need to watch for signs of chewing in the glue area and remove if necessary.

ABMoore22
          Participant

I did not know about flour glue, that is interesting.

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

One more question. Is eco earth safe to use?

ABMoore22
          Participant

Yes, I use it for all my reptiles. Tropical and Arid. The only thing i’d add is even though its safe, try to feed on a surface void of anything that can be consumed. Regardless of the substrate, but if they do get a little eco earth, dont worry, as they can break that down. And for Arid species you’ll wanna let the eco earth dry out after you first expand it with water. Otherwise it’ll raise your humidity for quite a while.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Id rather recommend using 100% clear silicone on the suctions cups that come with the hammock. I use it in all my tank builds. (preferably GE brand) Make sure the hooks are where youll want them a long time though, since the main way to get silicone off is a razor.

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

Thanks. I just tied it for right now, seems to be working for now.

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

I’m having trouble with ants and other pests getting inside my bearded dragon cage. I was wondering if this is safe to use and see if it works. Pictures are attached.

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

Here is a picture of the product.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Zoo would be of more help here, so Ill wait for her to reply. But we did recently help someone else with this issue and here is that thread. https://critterfam.com/forums/topic/cricket-contest-665/

Zoodulcis

Yes, using a flashlight can be very illuminating! 🤣 Darken the room, pick your beardie up underneath the armpits and shine the light from the dorsal side through to the ventral side (top of body to bottom, in other words). Two long shadows above the cloaca indicate a boy.

Zoodulcis

I have no idea if this product will work. These seem to be fairly popular for rodents, but for insects? I would keep the receipt.

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

The reviews for them keeping insects away are very good. I was just wanting to know if it would harm my bearded dragon? Cause aren’t some bad for reptiles?

Zoodulcis

Most lizards pick up sounds in the 500-4,000 Hz range, with a peak sensitivity at 700 Hz. The ultrasonic devices generally emit sound at 65,000 Hz, well above the hearing range of your beardie.

I did some research and it turns out that these units do have some effect. They generally reduce the numbers of ants but do not eliminate them entirely. Also, the size of the room and proximity to the problem area seem to make a difference. So while you may potentially be wasting your money, you will not harm your beardie. They seem pretty inexpensive, so perhaps you should experiment and go for it!

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

So I went ahead and bought this from Amazon. I got them Wednesday and it says it takes a week to start working. But will this kill my crickets? I’m just wondering before I even try it cause I was would hate to wake up one morning with a few hundred dead crickets.
          Also, does anyone know where I can buy a big fake log? I can’t seem to find them anywhere online or offline.

Zoodulcis

Could you be a little more specific about what ‘this’ is? Then we can be of more help to you.

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

That ultrasonic pest repellent thing I asked about above.

Zoodulcis

I thought so but wanted to be sure. I don’t think it will harm your crickets if you keep them in another room. Just be sure to have a solid wall between the emitter and the cricket container.

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

So far, it seems these pest repellers are working pretty good. There haven’t been any ants in the cage for the last 2 days. I will give another update in 2 more days.

Zoodulcis

Yes please do! And remind us of the brand and where in the room you have it. Reviews on all of these products are mixed and it would be good to know a member’s first hand experience.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

Thanks. I ordered one from the link you posted. Every time I looked the only thing I found was fireplace logs.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Youre welcome. And i saw that at first too. Just add the words ‘for pets’ or ‘for reptiles’ and that usually helps.

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

So I don’t know if I should start a new thread about this. I bought the EHouse Ultrasonic pest repeller model BH3. I have it plugged in like 5 feet from my bearded dragon. I got it cause I’m having trouble with ants in my bearded dragon cage. It has been plugged in for about 10 days and so far, it seems to be working pretty well, there doesn’t seem to be any more ants. If you’re having trouble with ants or other pests I’d recommend trying the product I am talking about. It seems to do a good job.

Zoodulcis

Thank you for that information. Many folks may find it very useful and I will direct them to this thread.

Zelma Freedline
          Participant

No problem. Like 4-5 ants find there way in now and then. It’s nothing like it was before I got the pest repellers though. Before there used to be at least 100. I would say they have helped a lot. It’s those little red ants and I thought they would gang up on my bearded dragon and kill him? Or her?

Zoodulcis

Hard to know exactly what they would do. It depends on the species of ant. There are approximately 700 species of ants in the US. Many are harmless, some are not. So it is better to err on the side of caution as you have done.

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});