Topics Forums Frogs – Pixies, Pacmans, & More! New pacman not eating, maybe bloated?!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 1 Favorite

kimi
      Participant
      New pacman not eating, maybe bloated?!

Hey guys. Im a new pacman owner and of course I’m over thinking everything. I got her 10 days ago, and she hasnt eaten right since I got her, and I got a massive scare the day she came home. First night I woke up to find her on her back belly up, but she seemed to be ok, and I gave her a bath and shes been ok in that regard since, no clue why she did it. Feeding wise, she had 1 waxworm one night, about 5 nights in cause I left her alone for the first few days, but it was cause her mouth was open and I kind of just tickled it in there and she took it. She shed that night so thats the only reason she ate. This is the 11th day I’ve had her now, and she wont even look at crickets, which she was being fed before. Other than the three times ive tried to feed her I’ve only gone into her enclosure to mist it, and I have to do it multiple times (3-4 times) a day cause I’ve been having a little trouble keeping the humidity up without it. I’m getting an auto mister soon, so that might help with not stressing her, but does she look okay to anyone else? Im just a paranoid person, and Im trying to do what I can for her
      Thanks (:

Zoodulcis

It’s not time to panic, but some concern is warranted and it’s good that you are being observant. Have you found any feces in her habit? If not, she may be constipated, a very common condition in newly acquired pacman frogs. If no feces have been produced, I recommend putting her in her bath twice a day and making her stay there for 20 minutes each time.
      Add tsp of honey to the bath and dissolve well, then place her in it. This treatment may take a few days, but the results are often excellent. You might also want to reconsider the substrate. Although it is easy for her to burrow in, it is just the right size for frequent ingestion, which can result in impaction of the gut. This has the same symptoms as constipation, in that she will see bloated and uninterested in food. Does her skin seem clean and free of lesions? Did you get her from a reputable breeder?

kimi
        Participant

I have only found 1 feces on the second day i brought her home, and she hasnt really eaten so Im not sure if she would have anything to poop out anyway, Is bathing her going to stress her out anymore? The soil she’s in right now is the exo terra plantation soil and its what she was on before. Im unsure if she really is impacted, the one time i picked her up he belly did not feel hard, She just looks like shes full of water on both sides, but if anything she was a little dry, i have been trying extra had to keep it humid by misting the enclosure multiple times a day, with dechlorinated water, and not hitting her too much directly (i know a few stray droplets hit her cause she slowly closes her eyes and opens them when im done). Her skin and colour still looks great, shes just not eating. I will try the honey bath when I am home from work, I was just nervous about stressing her out, she doesnt seem very comfortable
        I just want to do the best for her and her breeder said she ate super well before, but since Ive had her she doesnt want anything, and shes only a few months old so i was told she needs to eat more frequently than adults.
        Thank you for your help!

Zoodulcis

Finding a feces does indicate that the problem started after she went to her new home. It could be stress. Yes, forcing her to bathe can add to her stress. It is a fine line. She does need a bath to avoid dehydration, misting alone is not enough. If she sits in her bowl voluntarily that may be enough for a couple of days. Has she attempted to burrow yet?

kimi
          Participant

I gave her the honey bath and she did a big shed. Tried to offer her a cricket after she was done shedding and she didnt want it either, and she burrowed half way when I put her back in her tank after. Top of head near eyes and back of neck are out
          Has only used her water bowl to soak once since Ive gotten her, but my auto mister will be here soon so the humidity in the tank should be great in a bit here. On the bright side she did look less puffy after the shed, not by too much, but less anyway! Still no-go on food though ):

Zoodulcis

Sounds like at least a little progress has been made. I would continue the daily honey bath once a day, rather than twice, for the next few days. You might also consider a different food offering for now, like meal worms, super worms, or butterworms. Earthworms (purchased from a shop and not wild caught) might also temp her. Be sure to place them in a shallow dish, so she doesn’t ingest any substrate.

kimi
          Participant

Hello. So I gave her her third bath today and she peed a lot, and the bloating completely went down. Unsure why she hasnt peed before, in either baths, or her water dish, but she was just holding it for a few days. I think I will try to leave her alone for a few days, cause she still hasnt eaten (going on almost 11 days now!!! ): !) but she still looks healthy, and Im sure me bathing her or nudging crickets and worms against her mouth really didnt help with stress. I ordered dew worms in, and will try to feed her in three days. Fingers crossed

Zoodulcis

Sounds like she had an osmotic imbalance and the forced bathing solved this. I think you may be right to pause any interventions for a while. Your new mister, when it arrives, may make a huge difference as well.

kimi
          Participant

I apologize for all the questions! I have been looking into a vet in my area too just in case!
          She has still not wanted to eat. How long is too long to go without eating for her, I believe she is about 5months. look wise she still looks good though, humidity is good now with the mister, and heat stays 85 day, 77ish night.

James Orcutt
      Participant

He or she is probably just adjusting to a new habitat keep trying but don’t worry, they can go a long time without food, hope this helps! – James Orcutt (12)

kimi
        Participant

I am hoping so! It has been almost 18 days! She is 5months, but Im hoping she will be okay.

Zoodulcis

Healthy Pacman frogs are able to live without food for extended periods. Some can go for a week with no food, while others may last a month or more.

The above statement is from a site that may be able to offer additional tips and encouragement. See what they have to say at…

Reasons Your Pacman Frog Is Not Eating

James Orcutt
      Participant

I got one two weeks ago and he or she is doing fine, it took a bit to get her to eat but agitating him with the food seemed to work, I put a picture up of him called “Hulling Toad” hope this helps!

Viewing 3 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});