Topics Forums Leopard Geckos New Leopard Gecko Owner

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Lauren
      Participant

Hello I am currently a new owner of a leopard gecko (I’ve never had one until now) and I was hoping that someone who has taken care of them before, could give me some tips and advice. Thank you in advance!

ABMoore22
      Participant

I have all info youll need. Wont be able to be on here til Tuesday. Ill post everything then!

Zoodulcis

AB’s advice will be very beneficial for you. Also, be sure to check out the care guide on this site written by Critter Depot’s in-house zoologist (me).

ABMoore22
        Participant

These care guides are the most accurate Ive found anywhere on the internet so far!

Breana Fortney
      Participant

If you want to look me up on fb and shoot me a message (brea plunkett) I can help you out! I have 5 leos theyre my favorite

ABMoore22
      Participant

Sorry it took so long. Haven’t been home much. A great youtube channel to learn all you’d need is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/leopardgeckotalk

This will be long so I can cover the main things you need now. If you have any question, please just ask!

Supplies: (I can give links to all from amazon, if youd like)

*at least a 15 gallon tank.
      *Ceramic heat lamp
      *uva/uvb bulb (no higher than 75w) and/or vitamin D3 powder (A lot of people use both, including myself)
      *Calcium Powder (will add pictures of feeding/dusting schedule)
      *Reptile Heat Mat
      *Surface thermometer (sometimes comes with heat mat)
      *Temp & Humidity Gauge (they have some that have both)
      *Water Dish
      *Calcium Powder dish (can use cap from a bottle)
      *Substrate (coconut fiber, reptile carpet, slate, tiles, shelf liner, newspaper, paper towel) NO SAND.
      *sphagnum moss (can substitute with damp paper towel)
      *2-3 hides.
      *Feeder insects: Crickets, hormworms, Black Soldier Fly Larva, mealworms, Waxworms, Superworms, etc.
      *Humidity between 30-40%

Set up/Details:
      *Warm side should be between 88-93 (about 90, goal) degrees on the tank floor.

*Cool side should be your room temperature in the 70-76 degrees. 30-40 humidity, tested on cool side.

*Heat mat goes on one side (substrate on top). Covering no more than half the tank.

*Hide positions: one over heat mat and one on cool side. You will also need a humid hide (i set this in between warm and cool side (with moist moss or paper towl inside, keep moist. Some people only put this hide in when shedding starts, i always keep one in. You can use a tupperware with a hole cut in it. Use tape to cover sharp edge or sand down with sandpaper)

*Water on cool side. (always keep water in tank)

*Put calcium dish wherever you want, but always leave it in tank.

*UV lamp (if you choose to use) over side with heat mat.

*To clean use reptile scoop or paper towel. (geckos ‘go’ in the same spot, so its easy)

SCHEDULE BELOW: Ages 0-6 months, 6-12 months, and over 12 months
      C = Calcium
      VM = Vitamins & Minerals
      I usually aim for 8-10 bugs, but as long as they eat at least 5, im happy.

ABMoore22
        Participant

Everyday feedings for 0-6 months. Every other day for 6-12 months, every 3-4 days for over 12 months. Though If you see weight loss at every 3-4 days for adults, add a day of feeding.

Viewing 4 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});