Topics Forums Crested Geckos Deformed 4 Month Crested Gecko

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 2 Favorite

Al
      Participant
      Deformed 4 Month Crested Gecko

Here is my sweet little gecko Sunshine! I bought them three weeks ago, and was giving it breathing room to settle in. However, since I have started to handle it more regularly I noticed that either the left size of its face is too big or the right is too small. Both pupils dilate but it walks with a head tilt, big eye forward. It is fairly active when handled but I have only noticed 3 droppings since they got here. I am not sure of it has gained or lost weight, but I have a scale on the way so I can start keeping track. My question is, does this little one need any special care/ will its health be affected by this deformity? I have seen many posts about juvenile geckos like this but never a follow up with how they are doing months or years later.

Attachments:

ABMoore22
      Participant

Ive heard that they can have genetic issues like this. Here’s a link from this site I saw recently on it. Id say as long as its otherwise healthy, eating well and this doesnt continue getting worse, it’ll do just fine. If you continue worrying, search for a vet in your area dealing with reptiles to take it to. The moderator here could help more with this than I, but hope this helps a little. https://critterfam.com/forums/topic/crested-gecko-has-deformed-ear/

Al
        Participant

Thank you! I will check out that post.

Zoodulcis

Yes, I think that post mentioned above would be very helpful for you. Thanks AB. Now, that said, there is no way to tell if this deformity will worsen. The best advice that I can offer is to provide your pet with the best CGD that money can buy at this developmental stage. You don’t want to compound his issues with poor nutrition. When he is sexually mature, and seems to be doing well, you can try other, less pricey formulations.
          Don’t worry about the number of droppings just yet. Transportation and rehoming are very stressful to young animals and he may not have fully settled in yet. The scale is brilliant, and will come in super handy. I would try not to handle him for weighing every single day, as that may add to his stress. Skip a day now and then until he has been with you a couple of months. That allows his sympathetic nervous system to really settle down and normalize for a day before being challenged again.

If he is a little one-sided in his approach to life, will that bother you?

Al
          Participant

Thank you! I have them on the breeder formula, figs and insects, and fruit and insects from Pangea. I will defiantly got back to giving it space for a little while, I am thinking of weighing once every week or so. I don’t know of any one who isn’t a little lopsided lol. I apricate all the feed back!

Zoodulcis

You can certainly weigh him twice a week, if you think that would be the best way to track weight. It’s tempting to do it daily when one is concerned about an animal’s weight loss, but twice a week is a perfectly good compromise. The diet sounds pretty well balanced, just be sure that the calcium content of the CGD is generous. The last thing your guy needs is to have to cope with MBD, which can compromise an animal’s teeth and jaws in addition to the spine.

Nickole
      Participant

Beautiful gecko! I gave you gold please give me some in return thanks

Rebeccah Copeland
      Participant

I know nothing about geckos, but I hope you named the little guy “Joe” or “Merrick”.

Viewing 3 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});