Topics Forums Leopard Geckos Crickets attacked gecko, do we take to Vet

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 1 Favorite

Susan Brown
      Participant
      Crickets attacked gecko, do we take to Vet

My daughter just got her gecko and they feed him a cricket and thought he ate it, so someone put 3 more in the tank. It turns out they were hiding and they have now injured the geckos two legs and tail. What can we do for him? Crickets have been removed tank.

John
      Participant

I’ve never had that happen, but I heard to put some betadine on it followed by plain neosporin. It should help. What kind of crickets were they? The original brown crickets or the banded crickets? If it is banded crickets, there may be other critters living in the tank you are unaware of cause I don’t think banded crickets are very aggressive. Also, why not feed it in a separate container?, that way you can let him eat what it wants in say 15 minutes then transfer him to his home without the worry of leaving crickets in the cage. You could go another route and buy it some dubia roaches or black soldier fly larvae which both are totally safe and no worries of either of them attacking yur gecko.
      You may want to see what others say because I’m no expert. I am sure AB will weigh in with better advice. Gotta love AB she is a huge help and seems to know what she is talking about.

Zoodulcis

John’s suggestion about neosporin is a good one. I use triple antibiotic for those cases. I don’t think a vet trip is needed, unless infection sets in, then the little guy needs to be seen immediately. If the area of the bites seems to be reddening, then it’s time for professional help.

Hungry crickets of all kinds can be very aggressive. If you still wish to feed crickets, I would not put them in the tank without observing the feeding for the next several weeks, and possibly longer. Mealworms are not a good choice for leopard geckos, but some dubia roaches might be a good alternative. Black soldier fly larvae are also pretty safe.

Susan Brown
        Participant

Thank you. We put triple antibiotic on him because that is what we had. They feed him in a different container and he ate them in there. So they won’t be putting live crickets in the tank anymore. I am glad I found this forum. You guys have been a great help. Thank you again.

Zoodulcis

Our pleasure! It’s so important to keep those wonderful safe and happy.

ABMoore22
          Participant

You can also use feeding tongs if he ever doesn’t wanna eat out of his enclosure at some point. That’s what I do when mine is feeling picky about location.

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});