Topics Forums Lizards Cricket Contest – Lolong

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

angel4peace
      Participant
      Cricket Contest – Lolong

This is Lolong, the Red Eyed Crocodile Skink! He absolutely loves crickets and would be the happiest critter ever to win this contest! I’m doing an animal educational program this coming year, so his critter buddies (a bearded dragon and 6 baby tarantulas) would also enjoy some tasty meals for the next year. Please give a gold coin to Lolong and his critter pals. Thanks!

CritterDepot
      Keymaster

Oh wow, we don’t see a lot of red eyed crocodile skinks on this forum! Where do you get him? What kind of habitat does he require?

angel4peace
        Participant

Got him at Reptile Rapture in Monona WI… great little shop! He’s in an 18x18x12 enclosure that can comfortably house both him and his future girlfriend (Oh-la-la, lol). I keep a couple inches substrate because he likes to dig, and LOTS of moss, leafy vines, and bark pieces so he can hide all day – nocturnal critter. I must twice a day to keep humidity up.

Zoodulcis

Is he easy to handle? Will you be letting children hold him?

angel4peace
          Participant

He actually holds really still when handled but his species isn’t found of it. I’ll probably handle him myself and have a nice travel enclosure that allows him to be viewed easily. I don’t want to stress him too much by passing him around.

Zoodulcis

Yes, I think that is wise. He seems like a sweety and no sense making his life shorter from stress. What sort of animals will you be allowing the children to touch, it any?

angel4peace
          Participant

I have a bearded dragon, a couple snakes, and a tortoise the kiddos can interact with.

Zoodulcis

Oh that sounds like plenty. The snakes are always my favorites to present to children, many of whom will think they are slimey or dangerous. Always fun to see the light bulbs go off in their eyes as they realize this is not so. What kind of snakes do you take to them?

angel4peace
          Participant

Hi! Sorry it took so long to reply. I work 10 hour days so when the week starts, it really starts, lol. The current snakes are a baby Hognose, and 2 ball pythons (an albino and a pastel).

Zoodulcis

Oh, you are an angel! Aren’t ball pythons the best!! I am glad you were able to find the time to respond, as I was thinking about you.

I was sprucing up one of my blogs on the human-animal bond and my latest post was a lovely story about a group of elementary schoolers who acquired a therapy animal for their school, and also were instrumental in an award of $100,000 for the animal shelter the doggie came from. Very happy tidings.

Then I wrote an article for another venue on ‘zoonoses’, diseases transmitted by animals to humans. It turns out that there are real liability considerations still in place for students handling reptiles in a classroom setting. They are getting better, and much less paranoid, every year, as teachers and administrators are being made more aware of the power of the human-animal bond. Nevertheless, I wondered if you had a handwashing/sanitizing routine in place, as well as a waiver for all students who will be handling the reptiles directly. I really, really, really want to see folks like you offer this information and these experiences to children, and never have to worry about unfortunate consequences from a helicopter parent, etc.

Just some practical thoughts from a former zookeeper and co-worker with Joan Embry (San Diego Zoo), back in the Johnny Carson days. Now I am really dating myself, so I will stop here 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});