Topics Forums Ball Pythons Brumation?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Zelma Freedline
      Participant

So I got my bearded dragon in June/July you last year. I’m guessing the pet store had him for a month or 2 before I bought him. Within the last 3 days his eating really quit. He was eating normally, now within the last 3 days it has really decreased to just a few crickets to today he wouldn’t eat any. He also is not eating his greens and he usually goes crazy for them. He also loves super worms but it takes him a few minutes to eat 1 of them anymore. He is usually full of life seeing super worms but not now. He just lays in the same place all day but will move from it for like 5-10 minutes but then goes right back. He also seems to be sleeping earlier over the past few days. He will go to sleep with his lights still on. It is starting to warm up here in Pennsylvania, so what are the chances of it being brumation? I thought it only happens when it’s cold?

Zoodulcis

You are correct. Decreased temperatures and shorter day length brings on brumation. Some reptiles kept indoors never go there, depending on the light and ambient temperatures. But for a beardie to initiate it now seems unlikely. Keep a very sharp eye on him. What sort of substrate is he housed on?

Zelma Freedline
        Participant

He is on crushed walnut shells right now. I did change it over to eco earth but he did not seem to like it. So I put crushed walnut shells back in. I’ve had crush walnut shells in there since I’ve gotten him. I’ve never had a problem with it. Now he will not even eat. He usually loves dandelions but will not even eat them. I’ve been having trouble with ants but getting them out as soon as possible. Is it possible the ants are biting him and making him sick? The things I order will not be here til Wednesday.

Zoodulcis

Crushed walnut shells are not recommended at all for beardies. If you didn’t like the eco-earth, I would switch him over to aspen. I doubt that the ants are biting him, but they may be weirding him out.

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});