Topics Forums Leopard Geckos Cricket Contest

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

EnRique Rosado
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

Hey all!!! This is my GeckošŸ¦Ž ā€œCheetah.ā€ He was named that, not only because of his super fast speed (you gotta see him at feeding time), but also because of his fetching cheetah spots, and ā€œLeopardā€ or ā€œLeppyā€ wouldā€™ve been too obvious and bland. I know heā€™s a cricketerian but heā€™s so tempted by the sweet scent and moist, yummy goodness of cakešŸ° (this particular slice is lemon pound cake)šŸ˜‹! This mini-dinosaur would love a year supply of scrumptious 6-legged hoppers šŸ¦—! Theyā€™re his fave!

Zoodulcis

Cheetah is a hoot. Have you had him very long?

EnRique Rosado
        Participant

I just got him and his twin brother Jag (short for Jaguar) about 3 months ago from my Aunt. She had them over a year.

BM22
      Participant

He’s super cute. We just got one ourselves. Have you had any issues with keeping him on sand? Just curious because the place we got ours from kept them on sand and ours pooped sand pellets for 3-4 days, then finally normal poops since we dont use sand. Ive heard it can cause impaction, so getting others opinions on it.

EnRique Rosado
        Participant

I havenā€™t had any issues but I believe the sand I use has calcium so if they swallow it, itā€™s doesnā€™t do much or anything at all to their digestive systems.

Zoodulcis

I agree with AB…another substrate might be a better choice. Calci sand, is not entirely safe because it’s made from calcium carbonate. Just like with antacid tablets, serves to neutralize stomach acid. Stomach acid is necessary to digest food and the supplement itself; once stomach acid is neutralized, the calcium carbonate can contribute to impaction. Best just to keep him on an organic substrate for maximum health. Suggestions for these are included in the Leopard gecko care guide on this site.

BM22
          Participant

That’s the same they used at the pet shop for mine and eventually you’ll find poop that’s mostly sand, but it may take a while to build up to that point. So glad you replied though. I personally use slate rock as majority of the tank and a section of eco earth for digging, but only feed on the slate. Hope this helps and I hope you continue having no issues with the sand! He looks great!

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});