Topics Forums Leopard Geckos Whats wrong with my geckos leg?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 1 Favorite

joseph shankin
      Participant
      Whats wrong with my geckos leg?

This is my gecko crouton, he has a 20-gallon tank with calcium dish, I also regularly dust his feeder mealworms with vitamins and calcium on different days, he has a UVB lamp and a wet, dry, and cool hide. I got him from PetSmart about 3/4 weeks ago I just started noticing his right leg seemed to be a little bigger and more bent than his other legs, I gently felt his leg and the bone seemed solid, I also read somewhere that each leopard gecko could have its own sort of little mutation and I’m wondering if that’s the case here. any feedback would help a lot, thanks! **the container he is in is only so I could photograph him**

Zoodulcis

Joseph, it seems like there is a strong possibility that he is beginning to show signs of MBD. Did you get him from Petsmart 3/4 weeks ago? Or farther back and 3/4 weeks you just started to notice the problem developing? How old is he and what type of morph? There are certain neurological problems associated with certain morphs. Does his calcium have D3 or is it without?

joseph shankin
        Participant

I got him 3 weeks ago and I just started noticing his leg about one week ago, and it’s only his front right leg, all his other bones/legs look normal, he is eating and pooping regularly, and is very active during the day and night and he has no mobility issues. His calcium does have D3 in it. when I got him from pet smart I wasn’t paying attention to his legs imparticular but I don’t remember if it looked bent then. and now that I look at it today it looks really bent, but that arm does have an extra bit of fat on it maybe it’s making it look bent? idk, you most likely know more about these things 🙂

joseph shankin
          Participant

wait i just realized i did not tell you what morph he is, i do not know, but the sign at PetSmart said he was a fancy gecko

Zoodulcis

It’s good that you are getting so observant with him. It may be nothing at all, so just keep an eye on his spine and jaw as well. And be sure to place a little of his calcium in the gut-load for his crickets.

joseph shankin
          Participant

ok, I will, thank you for all your help 👍

ABMoore22
          Participant

That’s because they dont know the morph either haha. Anything other than the classic/wild morph, they call fancy.

He looks like a High Yellow Jungle Morph. (Very pretty BTW!) They do not have Eclipse in them usually. Im pretty sure its either just a birth defect or MBD (most likely). Just keep dusting his food and leave a small dish of calcium in his tank at all times. Keep watching to see if it gets worse. You cant reverse MBD as far as i know, but you can keep it from getting worse. Youre doing great! His breeder and pet shop let him down, not you. Its pretty common, actually.

joseph shankin
          Participant

thank you for all your help 👍 I was worried at first but this put my mind at ease

ABMoore22
          Participant

No problem. I did forget to add that a uv lamp will help too. about 25 watt (no more than 50 watt) should be ok. the surface temp under it should be no more than 90. I know people say Leopard Gecko’s dont need them. But ive tested it and mine does much better with one. As long as its not too hot. They also need belly heat to digest. so either have a flat rock like slate to heat under the lamp or a heat mat around 90 degrees.

I added my chunky guy, just so you know im not full of it. haha

Attachments:

ABMoore22
      Participant

Im thinking the same thing Zoo is Metabolic Bone Disease. I’m glad your dust, because that’ll help. Hopefully Zoo has some other tips for ya, but im thinking thats what it is and as far as i know not much you can do besides keep up with your vitamins/minterals and calcium (with and without D3).

Zoodulcis

AB, do you have any experience with neurological or developmental problems in various Leo morphs?

ABMoore22
          Participant

No, ive avoided them so far. The only thing i know is any morph with Enigma in it (they dont always tell you it has some in it either) has the gene for neurological issues. Usually it only causes the Gecko to tilt its head up, stare at the ceiling and walk odd due to its head having erratic movements. This, id almost bet is MBD, or some type of gene defect i havent read about yet.
          Sorry i cant help more.

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});