Topics Forums Chameleons What's the deal with my Chameleon?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Alexander Martin
      Participant

What’s the deal with my chameleon? He always just stays on the side of the cage in the sun, even when I move him in the nice shade over and over. And, he always seems to freak out when I bathe him. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Zoodulcis

Sounds to me like his habitat isn’t warm enough and he is only comfortable right under the heat source. Do you have a thermometer that allows you to sample the temperatures in various places in his enclosure? A digital laser thermometer will identify cold spots that would be unpleasant for him. Until you know for a fact that there is nowhere cooler than 78 degrees F in his enclosure, I would just let him stay where he is and not try to manually relocate him. Does he seem to be normal in every other way? Eating well and staying hydrated?

D P Boscia
      Participant

Chameleons love to bask in the sunlight, especially after a shower or meal! They know instinctively that they need heat, UVA and UVB light to aid in digestion. It is also the 1st thing they do when they awake in the morning. Mine are a montaigne species and purposely sleep in the cooler parts of their cages. (Adult M, F and 13 – 5 month old babies)

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});