Topics Forums Crested Geckos Very large crested gecko vivarium

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 1 Favorite

bluepicole
      Participant

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. To give a little bit of background my crested gecko, Flame, is about six years old. I had her in a 10 gallon tank that has been converted vertically. Last year I read a little bit about the recommended housing guidelines and decided to do a 20g long converted vertically. I did a partial bio active enclosure and like it. That’s going great but I want a little bit more ground space for a fully bio active set up. I am going to build my own cage out of some plywood, acrylic, glass, etc. I was thinking of doing an 18x18x36. Any thing I haven’t considered for that size? Should I have different dimensions? I am open to any and all feedback and ideas. Thanks!

Zoodulcis

Sounds like an awesome project. My suggestion would be to consider access for either cleaning or removing your friend for a bit of one on one time. Top-only access in a heavily vegetated enclosure can be really inconvenient. The bioactive setup will ensure that cleaning is kept to a minimum, but you may occasionally need to trim or replace plants, or you may want to readjust the furniture from time to time, depending upon the usage of various areas and items that your crestie uses for loafing or basking. So a hatch in the front as well as the top can save you some aggravation and make it easier to take your friend out without having to loom over the enclosure with a hand reaching down to grab, which bothers a lot of reptiles who interpret the action as a predatory move.

Best of luck with your project and be sure to post pix of it and your crestie when it’s all completed.

bluepicole
        Participant

Thanks for the reply! I am definitely planning on having both the top and front open so that will not be an issue.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Also if using wood, use a water based sealant. They do have pet safe type. The wood will rot fast then you’d think, been there on a temp enclosure. Add a drainage layer, there’s great YouTube videos on it.

bluepicole
      Participant

Inspiration struck me and I decided to instead go with a 18x24x32 as it fits better where I have the vivarium located. I also had a thought that I could build a frame out of wood and take purple foam board and put it in between the frame.

Zoodulcis

Sounds interesting. What steps will you take to ensure that there is no rot, due to the type of humidity that Cresties prefer?

bluepicole
          Participant

I am going to use silicone in all the corners, drylok the foam, and apply a latex paint on the exterior. Will post pics!

ABMoore22
          Participant

You’ve got your bases covered. I build similar things and you’ll do great!

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});