Topics Forums Frogs – Pixies, Pacmans, & More! Tadpoles in Tiny Pond

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Michael Pressman
      Participant

We have a tiny pond in front of our house: 3’x18″x18″ deep, and now have at least around 30 tadpoles. Is a pond that size enough to support all those frogs? The pond does contain algae and other plant material. We also have a much bigger pond (8’x6’x30″ deep). Should we consider moving the tadpoles to the bigger pond? Thanks

Zoodulcis

Sounds a little small, but it depends on the kind of frogs they are. Any ideas as to species?

Michael Pressman
        Participant

Thanks! So I assume it’s a bullfrog (see attached) This guy (I think it’s a guy) was at the pond for a week or two before we saw the tadpoles. I’m also worried about the temperature of the water as it’s been hot here in CT and the pond is small. By the way, in the back of our house where we have the larger pond, we also have a whole bunch of tree frogs who have been making quite the racket at night. Haven’t seen their tadpoles in that pond, but if there are any, can bullfrog tadpoles co-exist with tree frog tadpoles.

So back to the original query–should we try to move the tadpoles to the bigger pond? Thanks again

Attachments:

Zoodulcis

When mature, the bullfrogs will eat the smaller ones of a different species. About 3 adult bullfrogs is all that an artificial pond of that size can accommodate. That may seem cruel, but it is the way it is. So if you are pretty sure that they are all bullfrogs, rehome all but 8-10 for best results. Many of the ones that remain will not make it, for various reasons. But you might end up with 2-3 adults after a year or two.

Michael Pressman
          Participant

This is helpful…thanks!

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});