Topics Forums Everything Else Spotted Salamander paradise

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 3 Favorite

Stephanie West
      Participant
      Spotted Salamander paradise

This is our spotted salamander, Sally. Since spotted salamanders live underground, we made this cool underground lair so she can share her habitat with a gray treefrog (upper right). The flap lifts up so we can see her, but otherwise she lives in safe, blissful darkness.

Attachments:

Zoodulcis

That’s really clever and this photo may inspire other forum members to get creative! So you just thought about the issue and cooked this up? Or did this idea come from somewhere else and you adapted it?

Stephanie West
        Participant

I currently work at a nature center in Ohio and have about 10 yrs of zoo experience. I like to display all of our captives in naturalistic exhibits rather than plain aquariums to help visitors develop a sense of place for our native critters. This design was inspired out of a need to have a way for the public to observe our salamander, while keeping the salamander in an environment where he can feel safe and secure. The design comes with a few husbandry challenges, but overall it has been working beautifully for about three years!
        Thanks to critter depot for providing economical, quality feeders for our collection!

Zoodulcis

I like you very much already, Stephanie. I was a keeper and educator at the San Diego Zoo regularly in my youth. I worked there more than once and many members of my family did as well. So I appreciate the efforts you make to provide meaningful visitor interaction and interpretation of your exhibit animals, while keeping them comfortable as well.

Here’s a tip for this month, and even next month or longer. You can enter the contest in multiple months. The best way to win is to get friends, family, and in your case, perhaps nature center members to log on and give you a critter gold. If that doesn’t work for this month, there’s no reason not to try again in July, August, etc.

Best of luck with feeding that collection!

ABMoore22
      Participant

I LOVE this. I also strive to make enclosures as natural as i possible can and this is just too perfect!

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});