Topics Forums Lizards Spike and Turbo

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

wblive
      Participant
      Spike and Turbo

Here’s the finished product, for now. Each baby had picked a hide on either side of the hollow log. Looking cozy as ever. Can’t get a good shot of the guys but there’s the new set up.

ABMoore22
      Participant

Lookin’ good. plenty of places to hide and feel safe.

wblive
        Participant

Indeed, they’re loving it. Both hiding just enough for me to find them

ABMoore22
          Participant

Lol. theyre great at that. sometimes all i see is an eye looking at me out of a crack.

Zoodulcis

Looking great!! What are you doing about humidity levels?

wblive
        Participant

I haven’t monitored the humidity so much yet. I’ve been sprinkling water over the habitat in the meantime. I still need my spray bottle.

Zoodulcis

Since it appears that they are young, you can count on frequent molting as they grow. Proper humidity is essential during those times. If you notice that their skins start to look a little dull and their colors are muted, they are probably starting to shed and will definitely require the proper humidity. This is especially important for their toes, as retained shed around the toes will constrict over time and toe loss is usually the inevitable result.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Im not sure where youre located but if you have any dollar stores they have spray bottles there for super cheap and pump sprayers at home improvement stores are under $10.

wblive
          Participant

I was able to grab a hygrometer/thermometer combo, a spray bottle and some other goodies. The humidity level is perfect according to the meter

Zoodulcis

Good on ya, as the Aussies say. I think you are now well set up for success with this spontaneous reptile daddy gig. That being said, do not hesitate, yeah verily do not, hesitate to ask questions on this forum someone will get back to you within 24 hours.

wblive
          Participant

As I’ve seen, the response time has been perfect. I think we are well suited now to raise these little buddies.

wblive
          Participant

Interesting development today, I purchased some meal worms in hopes of coaxing big spike out for lunch, he was pretty settled all day in-between rocks on the left side of the tank. On the other hand, little turbo was out and about exploring pretty actively today and we actually were able to see him eat a worm. It was definitely larger than what I’d expect him to be able to handle. Without issue he sucked the worm down and we kept a close eye on him for the next couple hours on and off, he was perfect. I don’t intend to make these larger worms a stable for him in fear of choking him, but it was definitely good to see the little guy hungry and comfortable through the afternoon hours. Spike mad an appearance first thing this morning and seemed just fine. Im starting to think the baby is adapting better to the day time attention from his humans.

Zoodulcis

Your concern about choking is wise. It has happened. Mealworms are a readily available food but the not best choice for geckos, who have an amazingly short digestive tract. Mealworms are very chitinous and not tremendously nutritious so be sure to give those lizard kids some properly gut-loaded, small-sized crickets like the ones you can get from Critter Depot. Be sure to check out the guides I wrote on size and numbers of crickets and dubia roaches for leopard geckos for a little extra free info.

wblive
          Participant

any ideas how to coax a baby gecko out of hiding? i came into work today and almost stepped on a cold little baby. it ran up inside a doorframe and i can’t get at him.

ABMoore22
          Participant

I’ve had a few reptiles that I later learned were wild caught, the adults seemed to take longer to get used to captivity than the young ones in my case too.

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});