Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Scale loss

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

StormChance
      Participant
      Scale loss

Rex is losing a big chunk of scale from his back right leg. We put a triple antibiotic ointment on it but it’s pretty painful for him. Any chance you ideas how I can help him?

StormChance
      Participant

Here’s his belly

Zoodulcis

Looks painful. If it is a fungus, an antibiotic won’t help. If you have Tinactin lying around, you might try that and see if there is any improvement. Otherwise, he needs to see a vet so a culture can be taken and analyzed.

StormChance
        Participant

The scales fell off.

Zoodulcis

So the anti-fungal didn’t work? The skin looks pretty raw. A triple anti-biotic ointment on the affected areas may ease the discomfort and prevent secondary infection. If it appears as though the problem is spreading, I highly recommend a vet visit.

StormChance
          Participant

He is looking better. We changed his UVB bulb too, gave him an iodine bath, and put some BLU-KOTE on him. Vets aren’t really an option around Eastern Montana.

Zoodulcis

Oh, I feel ya. Here in Western Colorado we are a little bit better off, but not much. For anyone with an animal, be it a chicken, a beardie, a goat or a horse, I strongly recommend that they keep a bottle of Wonderdust on hand. This sulfa based topical is awesome and super cheap. For country folk it can be a life saver. There is no reason why it can’t go on your beardie if he gets more owies. Your local feed store should have it, but if they don’t, it’s readily available online.

StormChance
          Participant

I’ll look into that. Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});