Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Sammie the Bearded Dragon

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Sophia Lynch
      Participant
      Sammie the Bearded Dragon

I just got Sammie 2 days ago from Petsmart, they told me she eats about 10 small crickets a day. She is a tiny thing, estimated 3 months old. But I suspect only maybe about 8 weeks or less. Since I got her she hasn’t ate anything, I’m constantly monitoring the temperature in her habitat. And doing all the things a good pet owner can do. I have owned a beardie before but it was an adult. I’ve learned new things and having a baby is freaking me out, I don’t want her to die. Is it common for baby’s not to eat if they are moved? I can tell she trusts me, and she’s sleeping a lot and isn’t very active. I have installed a black light, so she can stay warm. She has both UVB and a basking light
      The tank is only 10 gallons, I am going to be purchasing a larger soon. Are lights supposed to be inside the tank? Or over?
      Also I noticed my bulbs are only putting out about 85-90 degrees witch I know isn’t optimal for her.
      Should I use the black light during the day with the others to increase the temp?
      Halp

Zoodulcis

She doesn’t look entirely well, and that is pretty typical for animals acquired from PetSmart. The horror stories I could tell you.

When she is feeling better, the lights should go on top of the enclosure. She is probably cold and stressed. Change at least one of the lamps for something more powerful. Don’t worry about her not eating for at least another day or two. Do not handle her at all. Make sure her nighttime ambient temperature is approximately 75 degrees F.

10 Gallons is plenty for the next 5 months. Then go to a larger model. The challenge here is to get her warm, comfortable and adjusted to her new surroundings. Do use the blacklight during the day and do monitor the temperature carefully. She should have a basking spot that is 95 degrees, with a cool spot that is about 80 degrees.

I sure not she makes it. Losing even a new pet can be heart-breaking. If you decide to acquire another beardie in the future, may I suggest purchasing from a local breeder. Also, if she makes it and starts eating, you should take a fecal sample to a vet to see if she should be wormed.

Sophia Lynch
        Participant

You think it’s highly possible she will die anyway?
        Is force feeding an option? I really want to try to save her if I can; I will take your advice. I will get a stronger UVB bulb and basking bulb.
        Not handle her except spraying her with water and attempting to put crickets in her enclosure, I do remove them after a time so she doesn’t get bit by them.
        She’looking a little better today, I increased her water intake with some vitamins for her.

Zoodulcis

It wise to hope for the best and plan for the worst when baby animals are sick. Unless you are in an extremely arid locale, such as the desert southwest of the US, misting her twice daily may be counterproductive. If you are in such a place, be sure that the water is warm and dechlorinated. If you live elsewhere, mist once per day max and be sure to change her water bowl daily, using warm dechlorinated water.

Force-feeding such a small and already traumatized youngster with fragile jaw bones would likely hasten the end. If the problem is MBD, the jaw bones may already be overly soft. Eyes constantly closed is a sign of severe illness.

A vet may be able to give her IV fluids. Proper warmth, water with vitamins, and privacy is about all you can do right now, short of taking her to a vet.

Zoodulcis

Any progress on the health issues?

Sophia Lynch
          Participant

Unfortunately she passed away on the way to the vet, I got a call a few days ago and after some testing she turned up positive for Adetnovirus (Stargazing). Which is fatal. I want to get another beardie but this one will be from a breeder, I’m going to take some time to disenfect my room and get rid of everything due to it being contagious.

Zoodulcis

Oh Sophia, I am so sorry to hear that. Yes Adenovirus is quite contagious and usually fatal. When you feel you are up to it, you might want to consider filing a complaint not only with the pet store management but with local authorities as well. There is no excuse for this sort of shoddy business practices that result in animal suffering.

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});