Topics Forums Chameleons Rexxar, The Smiling Chameleon.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 2 Favorite

ABMoore22
      Participant
      Rexxar, The Smiling Chameleon.

Updating on Rexxar. He just got over some type of infection in his nostril. It had shed stuck on it, which ended up somehow creating an access right on and above his nostril. I scraped all the excess skin off, cleaned it as best I could..given he’s a chameleon and you can’t just pick them up and hold them still like a cat or dog.. and put reptile safe antibiotic ointment on it. All cleared up now and looking good again, just a slight mark where the abscess was above his nostril.

Anyway! Don’t let this picture fool you. Most Chameleon’s will not do this and prefer to just be left alone so please respect their preferences. And on the occasion they do, do this, it takes a lot of work and trust building. I’ve had Rexxar I think about 2 years now (at least going on 2 years, I’ll have to confirm his birth date), and it took almost an entire year to get him to come out like this and not be too stressed. Especially without hornworms. Some days he still won’t come out, it all depends on his mood that day. And food is always a motivator. But it’s always important that you CAN remove your reptile in case of an emergency. If anyone wants to know how to get your chameleon, or possibly other reptile to be willingly handled, just ask.

ABMoore22
      Participant

Zoodulcis

Rexxar is looking pretty sharp these days. What sort of antibiotic did you use (brand)?

ABMoore22
        Participant

Thank you. Do you think his weight looks good? Sometimes I worry I may be making him a tiny bit chunky. When he looks that way I just reduce his amounts a few feedings then go back. I think he looks like a good weight here though.

And I used azithromycin. I have a few tubes for a chronic issue from a past eye injury and my vet said that it’s fine for reptile and chameleon use. So I’ve always just used what I have if it’s not too bad. It’s a lower % and so far my vet hasn’t steered me wrong. Haha. Only took 2 applications, so it wasnt a bad infection. I was lucky and caught it early. But for all other pet ointment needs I usually use terramycin. Which can be bought over the counter for pets. Like on chewy for example.

Zoodulcis

It’s hard to be sure, but his weight seems ideal to me. Thanks for listing the antibiotics by name. New keepers are often at wits end as to what to use for the type of ailment you described that will be reptile safe yet effective. So keep up the good work and enjoy those budgies!!

ABMoore22
          Participant

Thank you so much. Hopefully that’ll help someone who needs that info.

I just want to add how great this forum is to anyone reading. After being active in more forums, it’s come to my attention that not all forums are made the same. This one is very social, open and kind. I’ve learned some are very anal and only want to spread what they know, not make a community and communication for everyone. Just for asking questions and getting answers and the moderators to talk in a community setting.

(For example: on the bird forum someone had a question about something on there bird and they got and answer (seemed more like opinion tho), and I pretty much said “that looks crazy, I cant tell if it’s actually dried discharge or a color change in the picture.” After already previously been told to not offer advice, which was accepted no issue. This comment from me was I thought, just a comment and conversation. Nope, I was then messaged and told not to offer opinions either. I did not say any advice at all so I was a little confused. I now see, pretty much only husbandry and health questions were allowed unless you’re a moderator.)

JUST SHOWS A GREAT THIS FORUM IS!!

ABMoore22
          Participant

Sorry had it wrong, the message said ” don’t offer your thoughts”. I’ve never had this happen where a forum doesn’t want it’s members to actually talk. I’m a fairly understanding person, this to me this defeats the point of a forum. I’d feel differently if I had actually said something to effect how the poster cared for their bird.

Regardless the point for this is to make others aware how great it is here. It really is living up to its name sake as a “fam” if you’re a regular here. Thanks so much The Critter Fam and Zoo!

Zoodulcis

Thank you so much for that feedback. I’m sure the Keymaster (alias The Boss) appreciates it too. To try and maintain a sense of community and safety, I had to block some flamers a few years ago. That was unpleasant, but since that time the support that you and others have shown has been very encouraging. Knowing that one is appreciated makes it a pleasure to be a moderator for this site.

ABMoore22
          Participant

No problem at all. Sorry for the vent.LOL I just wanted to make it known why this forum is a good one. I’ve been on a few and usually ots just keepers commenting. Although yes they usually are doing their best and give good advice to others, I find it invaluable that someone with your knowledge (and kindness) is here to bounce things off of. It’s info you can trust and count on to respond.

And the contest shows that you all appreciate your customers. I recommend this site (great response time and feeders. One of the best. The ONLY site that comes close is Dubai, but they are out of stock A LOT!) and forum to anyone I know interested in reptiles. I already knew it was nice here, but after being a part of more than one other forum, it’s very clear how different it is here. So thank you all!

Zoodulcis

Just a quick note having nothing to do with Rexxar. I spoke to a friend who has had parrotlets and budgies and she recommends talkbudgies.com as being fairly friendly and informative. You have probably checked it out already, but I thought I would pass this along anyway.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Yeah, it’s a great site for all the best info and care practices. They just only allow moderators to give advice and very easily misunderstand banter between members as advice. That’s the site I was talking about. They are very kind, but sometimes think you’re giving advice when you’re not.

For example a member and I were talking about probiotics and antibiotics being used at the same time. They said vet said not to take them at the same time, I mentioned my fiance having to do that as well. Antibiotics THEN probiotics so they don’t counteract each other. I was then told my comment was moved and to not talk about my budgie in others threads or talk about what medical practices I have to do with my budgie. Lmao, I was like….it’s my fiance, a human. Did not even mention a budgie. Only the poster mentioned what the vet said to them. Which IS allowed.

They are GREAT people, I just feel they are very overprotective about the correct info being shared so they think just about any comment can be misconstrued as advice. I am just very careful in my wording there. I very much appreciate your info, as they genuinely are the best budgie forum to learn the best stuff from. I still 100% recommend their forum to anyone with a budgie.

Zoodulcis

My apologies! I thought your unfortunate experiences had been with birdtalk. My friend admits she is a lurker on talkbudgies only. She never comments on anything, which may be why she has not had a negative experience. That would make sense.

ABMoore22
          Participant

No biggie at all. That’s what I was too. It does make sense. Haha. Any negative comments (or that they perceive negative) is deleted.

It takes quite a bit to rub me the wrong way, but they kinda did. At least slightly. I had no issue being asked not to give advice, and respecting the request. But it quickly became don’t give advice, don’t offer your thoughts, don’t talk about your budgie health unless asking for advice(which I wasn’t even talking about a budgie. But a human), etc. (It’s just the main modorator that’s like that. Everyone else can tell the difference between comradery conversation and advice/opinion)
          It’s just kinda up tight over there and a lot of assuming everyone is giving advice and can’t follow the rules. Lol STILL, they DO offer the best info. Can’t fail them there. Just not a community setting like to m used to here.

Zoodulcis

That is really really interesting and gives me increased motivation to stay current and positive with all communications on this site. Most people are super nice and several have been quite helpful. I feel it creates a better community and it sounds as though you feel that way as well.

ABMoore22
          Participant

I do feel that way. I feel like you can learn a lot more if communication (even if not advice, even just simple communication) is open to everyone, much more is available to be learned. Or at the very least a place to feel comfortable enough to talk and ask questions or just have comradery. That’s what I believe forums to be. Or meant to be.

Zoodulcis

Hi AB,

Haven’t heard from you in a while. Is everything going well with the new budgie and all of the reptile pets?

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});