Topics Forums Frogs – Pixies, Pacmans, & More! Pacman frog troubles (urgent/scary)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 2 Favorite

Nicholas M Biggs
      Participant

My pacman frog is going on three months without eating. I legitimately don’t know what I’m doing wrong and I feel like I’ve tried EVERYTHING. I believe it is a female and roughly a year old. She just buries herself in the substrate and will not come out. She is not hibernating and is not lethargic when I get her out (which is pretty rare because I don’t want to over handle her). Temp stays around 76-77 in her tank during the day. Use a blue bulb for daytime heat. Tank stays about 70-72 during night time. Have tried making it warmer and moving the heat source to one side. Nothing. I keep humidity in the 70s and am pretty anal about making sure her substrate stays well hydrated. I even have a mister with 2 spray nozzles 1 pointed to directly over where she’s buried in the substrate, and the other pointed laterally to hydrate the plant and the rest of the tank. No visible signs of abrasions or red leg. No visible signs of impaction but have done a warm honey bath ensuring that it’s the proper temp. I just did another one today and she FINALLY pooped so I’m hoping maybe she was just constipated. Oddly enough it doesn’t seem like she’s lost any weight at all and shes not lethargic. Please, can ANYONE tell me what is going on with her or what I could possibly be doing wrong?

John Stamos
      Participant

it too scare you but have you seen any bacteria or any signs of parasites? my leopard gecko went almost 2 weeks without eating and she didn’t have any parasites luckily, pac-man frogs are very hardy but even so they are still susceptible too parasites which might by why she’s not eating? my best guess would be too try changing out the substrate and maybe take a sample of her dropping too your local exotics expect too get it checked for parasites. best of luck too you and your little one. please update us all

Zoodulcis

John may be right in that a stool sample to the vet might be informative. My guess is, though, that she was constipated. This species seems to get that way at random, despite the best of care. Now that she has pooped, her appetite and hunting drives may kick in again. It could take a couple more days though. If she still seems plump, she may still be full of you know what, and needs another bowel movement to really come around to her old self. I would not discontinue the honey baths just yet. They do no harm and much good.

Nicholas M Biggs
        Participant

After her poop and honey bath she stayed above the substrate for like an hour before making a hole with her head out which is the best she’s done for a long time. Usually she just goes right back under the substrate. Unfortunately after a few hours of her being above the substrate she went right back down without being interested in food. Her poop didn’t show any signs of parasites, nor her substrate.

Zoodulcis

Has she had a second poop in the last couple of days?

Nicholas M Biggs
          Participant

Not that I can tell 🙁

Zoodulcis

That may be the problem. Some progress has been made with emptying the digestive tract, but not enough. Definitely continue the honey baths. Did you already take the stool sample to the vet, it did you just examine it visually?

Nicholas M Biggs
          Participant

I continued doing honey baths daily. She didn’t poop any more from what I can tell after the initial one, but her appetite has returned! I had to bust out the big guns with some hornworms, but she is also eating her nightcrawlers again now too ❤️ thank you so much guys!

Zoodulcis

Excellent news! Sounds like you may have a picky eater on your hands, though. 😏

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});