Topics Forums Frogs – Pixies, Pacmans, & More! Pacman frog swollen and not eating

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 1 Favorite

lkm
      Participant

I posted awhile back about my Pacman frog who wasn’t eating. We got her to eat some large “super worms” shortly after that but she seems to be going downhill. She is super swollen and puffy and hasn’t eaten again in several weeks. She is lethargic and doesn’t look good. Any suggestions??

Zoodulcis

Gosh, it’s very hard to say from that brief description. First off, has she pooped recently. If not, recently, then when is the last time you are certain of. If you are totally uncertain, because sometimes they hide their business in a burrow and then dig another burrow, making it really hard to know, a honey bath may be the first step. It does no harm and many members have noted great improvement in their frogs after three days of baths.

ABMoore22
      Participant

I recently read something similar to this. Ill find it and post here: Water Edema Syndrome:
      The frog will start to swell up because of water retention. In very extreme cases, the frog may feel like a squishy water bag. A damaged lymph heart and kidney disease are common causes of water edema, and to date, there is no information as to prevention for the disorder. You can limit the amount of water that is available, or a vet can release retained water via small incisions at swell sites; but, this can be tedious, and you’ll find the end result will be the same.

Also, make sure youre using de-chlorinated water and changing it regularly. Dont know a whole lot about any other frogs than Dumpy’s and green tree frogs, but hope this helps.

Link: https://pethelpful.com/reptiles-amphibians/pac-man-frog-health#:~:text=The%20frog%20will%20start%20to,to%20prevention%20for%20the%20disorder.

Zoodulcis

AB, now that is interesting. It sounds like an osmotic imbalance. Kidney failure can be involved in this problem, it seems. I’m going to take a leap here, and suggest that too much water available is not the problem. But something is causing water to be retained, perhaps. On the other hand, a plugged-up frog seems to have very similar presenting symptoms. So how does an owner get a sense of water retention, or poop retention? I must admit I know little about amphibian kidney problems. Any experience with this as a pet owner?

ABMoore22
          Participant

Only in Mammals, but even then its limited to one pet who was already in old age. I’d agree that i dont think too much water is the issue here, unless its literally in a stagnant tank of only water. Which I doubt. I’m leaning towards impaction, kidney issue or Hormonal imbalances. Few more thoughts. If the swelling comes and goes, this frog is enlarging itself due to stress, trying to seem bigger. If not coming and going, need more info.

Is this frog bloated throughout the entire body? Or just in the belly area? If just the stomach it could be impacted or pregnant. If its the entire body, like even the legs, then id say a kidney issue or hormonal imbalance. If its hormones, it will often subside eventually on its own.

If it were my pet, id soak in honey water for 3 days, if nothing changes get to vet asap

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});