Topics Forums Bearded Dragons new to forum

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Donna
      Participant

I have not used this forum until today, even though I signed up a week or two ago. What is the easiest way to navigate? I’m not real experienced with using forums; although, I am signed up with a Bearded Dragon forum.

Recently, I ordered crickets from The Critter Depot. I’ve been feeding them to my bearded dragon. I wanted to try to breed crickets; so, I watched a video on The Critter Depot web site and got my bin set up just like the ones in the video.

Thing is, these crickets were delivered on Wednesday of last week. On Thursday morning, I noticed some white things that looked like rice in the box with the top soil in it. By Thursday afternoon they were gone. I thought that I would need to leave the egg laying box in the bin for a week.

This past Monday, I decided to start over and put another egg laying box in the bin. So far, I have not seen any eggs. I tried to contact The Critter Depot to find out what I might have done wrong. If there is a problem I want to be able to fix it. I used the online contact form and later tried using the email address that is at the bottom of almost every page. I have yet to hear back.

My bearded dragon is a juvenile. We measured him yesterday and he’s about 14 inches long. I think he’s around 8 months old. I got him on June 10th and they thought he was 4 or 5 months old.

What category to put this in? I’m not sure, Everything Else or Bearded Dragons. I’m going to try Bearded Dragons. If it should be somewhere else let me know.

Zoodulcis

Bearded dragons category is definitely the right spot for you. People with hedgehogs and pet chickens and such use the everything else category.

Raising crickets can be tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, then it goes much more smoothly and effortlessly. There is a guide to raising crickets on this site that I provided some time ago. Be sure to review that. It sounds like the egg-laying box was quite appealing to the females, but if any hungry females were left inside, they will have eaten the eggs. Perhaps this is what happened? Since they seem to like the box, I wouldn’t change that around just yet. Instead, check several times a day during egg laying sessions and remove the females regularly once you know they have made a deposit.

Donna
        Participant

Thank you for your reply. It’s easier for me to take out the egg laying box than to take out the crickets. I have noticed, though, that the crickets are growing fast. How long do they live? I’ve also noticed that there are smaller crickets also in the bin. They are bigger than pinhead crickets; but, smaller than the bigger ones. When I ordered crickets, I ordered all the same size; but, now I see a mix of sizes. I am giving the crickets plenty of stuff to eat, including fresh food and cricket chow.

My Bearded Dragon likes to eat dubia roaches, crickets, a soldier fly larva. He also gets collards and kale. I have offered him small pieces of watermelon, green beans, and carrots; but, he tends to ignore those food items.

My son and I recently built a new habitat for Paki. It’s about 4’x2’x2′. It’s the first time for us to do this kind of thing and I think it turned out fairly well. Although, if we were to do it again, there are things that I’d want to do differently. I think I have attached a photo of his new enclosure. When I get a chance, I will take a new picture of him. I have a couple of pictures on my computer that were taken back in June; but, they are kind of blurry.

Zoodulcis

Looks pretty nice for a first habitat construction experiment. Have you had a chance to review the cricket guide on this site yet?

Donna
          Participant

I have not found any cricket guide on the Critter Fam site. I have read about keeping crickets on other sites, including The Critter Depot.

Zoodulcis

Oh good, you found it. The guide is on Critter Depot, which is the parent website for this forum.

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});