Topics Forums Frogs – Pixies, Pacmans, & More! New Pixie frog owner with questions

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

alaska1204
      Participant
      New Pixie frog owner with questions

OK so I just got my juvenile pixie frog about One week ago. I have a few questions. First I read that UVB light is not good for their habitat. One came with the terrarium that I’ve been using but do I need to switch to another type of light? I did get a heating pad for the heat source for that has not come in yet. I’m also having difficulty keeping the humidity high enough when the light is on. I do mist but I find that I’m having to turn the light off for quite a while to get the humidity back up and then turn the light back on. Next question is about feeding. My frog does not seem to like to eat off of the tongs but doesn’t seem to do very well catching the worms and crickets that I put in there. Any recommendations? A lot of times his best luck is when he is in his pool of water and I put the bugs in there but I find his swallowing a lot of water as well. He usually has been eating about one to two large meal worms per day but today he only ate one large meal worm and like two crickets. Is this normal? Also, I want to know about the temperature. Usually at night his habitat drops to around 70 with just the house heater on and not any cage heaters or anything. During the day if I turn the light on it I’ll get up to 75 to 90 depending on how long I leave the light on. I have no experience with heating sources and like I said I did buy the heating pad which hasn’t come in yet but I feel like there should be a better way to go about regulating the temperature. I attached a picture. I left a meal worm and two canned crickets out for him in case he was still hungry and haven’t change the water today but I do usually change it once a day and remove anything he doesn’t eat.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by alaska1204.

ABMoore22
      Participant

Can you add a picture of your entire tank? Id use more/mainly coco fiber, and a little sphagnum moss if you wanted, as substrate as its great for digging and holding humidity. And he may be more comfortable eating on it, he may be feeling/catching the substrate you have now in his mouth. Put your heat lamp on one side of the tank and move it farther up if it gets too hot/dry. Also try covering a portion of your lid, if youre using screen, to help hold humidity. I use plexiglass/acrylic, but wood or plastic wrap works too if its not too close to the heat source.

Day time temps should be around 78-85 on the warm side (side with heat mat and lamp), and about 74 for the rest. Night tamps should be about 72. What size is your tank? And I usually use UVB whether its needed or not because they get that in the wild regardless. Theyre usually buried in the dirt anyway, so its not like it can hurt much. And at least 60% humidity is ok, especially since you have a water source for soaking. Spraying twice a day should be good. Use water conditioner though, if youre using tap water. Reptiles in a new home usually may not eat much if at all for the first week or so. Eventually he’ll get use to the tongs, just keep trying slow but wiggly insect. The movement attracts them. When tong feeding, I usually start out with wax worms just because everything loves them and theyre slow, them get a different bug. Thats how i taught my anoles to tong feed. There is a zoologist on here that can probably help more when she see’s this. Good luck, lmk if you have any more questions though.

Zoodulcis

UVB is fine for the habitat. If you decide to go bioactive, you will definitely need that.

Deeper substrate is a good call by AB. I would not leave any uneaten food in his tank at this point. The wildly fluctuating temperatures may be throwing off his feeding response. I think I would try keeping the light on 12 hours per day, and misting 3 or more times for humidity. Since you don’t have to worry about him shedding like a reptile would consistently high humidity may be less important right now than consistent diurnal/nocturnal lighting.

Be sure to check out the care guide on this site for more tips on pixie frog care.

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});