Topics Forums Leopard Geckos New Lepoard Gecko

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Sascha
      Participant

I am very new to owning reptiles so I apologize if I come off as slightly uneducated or inexperienced. I just bought a new leopard gecko and with tons of research and some petsmart employees advice, I set up its new home. I have its calcium bowl set up, a water dish that is treated with water conditioner, and a live food dish. When I tried to feed the gecko some dried meal worms(they were out of stock of crickets and live meal worms), it wouldn’t eat them so I assumed it is just scared at the moment and needs some time getting use to the environment. So I went to work keeping my boyfriend in charge of it to make sure it is safe and looks healthy, but he ended up feeding it a LIVE earth worm(chopped up into tiny pieces) from OUTSIDE! I read that is it really bad for them so should I take him to a vet?

Zoodulcis

Don’t panic yet. The parasite load of earthworms varies a great deal. Do collect a fecal sample, and take that to the vet in the next day or two. Keep it in the refrigerator until then. Not the freezer.

Do keep a very sharp eye on your new gecko. Spend at least 1/2 hour per day right now, carefully observing its behaviors. Since you are new to this, you need to establish a baseline for apparent normalcy. That way, if there is a problem down the line, you will know when weight, appetite and energy level are truly out of whack. If there is a change, and it is worrisome, then take the gecko itself to the vet. If the fecal sample tests positive, the vet may be able to give you a prescription wormer that prevents problems, without a trip for the gecko being necessary. Because the animal is a bit traumatized already, with being in a new home, best not to complicate things unnecessarily.

Different topic, since you are new to this. Big box pet store employees often try to sell new reptile owners sand as a substrate. If that is the case here, refer to the leopard gecko care guide on the Critter Depot site, and find a safer material to switch it out with in the next few weeks.

Hope this advice was helpful. Let us know what the fecal sample reveals, when you get a chance.

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});