Topics Forums Frogs – Pixies, Pacmans, & More! My pacman frogs habitat is losing humidity

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts 1 Favorite

Harold_the_packman
      Participant
      My pacman frogs habitat is losing humidity

I just got Harold 3 days ago and his I got the necessities for his enclosure but it’s not holding humidity at night. During the day it normally doesn’t drop below 75-80% but at night it drops to like 50% and when I feel the bedding it’s cold. Could I have put too much bedding down?

Zoodulcis

Hard to be sure from this photo, but if the heat source is from above, then the reduction in heat is the likely culprit. A heat source from below in the form of a heating pad might help stabilize the humidity. If there already is one, when I would add sphagnum moss to the surface before removing any of the substrate.

Harold_the_packman
        Participant

Ive read that sphagnum moss is bad for froglets because if if they eat it they can’t digest or poop it our and it could easily kill them. I put some pillow moss in to see if it’ll help. I may just have to get a fogger and put it on a timer

Zoodulcis

That’s true, I didn’t realize he was a froglet.

Harold_the_packman
          Participant

Yeah if you zoom in real close right above the water dish you can see his eye popping up. I might try and putting the heat pad on the bottom. I put down a felt layer on the glass so he can’t easily burn himself on it if he burrows deep. Any tips or anything for the husbandry or the enclosure or does it all look good?

Zoodulcis

Looks good so far, although changes may be needed as he matures.

Harold_the_packman
          Participant

I was thinking maybe after the 1 year mark I might make it into a bioactive enclosure

Zoodulcis

That is an outstanding idea and should solve all of the humidity problems.

Harold_the_packman
          Participant

That’s what I’m hoping for. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I just wanna have a happy frog lol

Harold_the_packman
          Participant

I think I was able to find a solution. I got a layer of felt and lined the bottom of the tank then moved the heating pad to the bottom. I also covered about 75% of the mesh lid with aluminum foil it’s now staying in the 70° range with high 80% humidity at night.

Zoodulcis

That sounds like an excellent solution, especially covering part of the top. Is the felt pad made of anti-bacterial material?

Harold_the_packman
          Participant

I’m not sure. I’ll check when I get home and if not I can replace it relatively easily

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});