Topics Forums Frogs – Pixies, Pacmans, & More! My New Pacman frog

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Jaime
      Participant
      My New Pacman frog

Hi,
      I am new here and just wanted to say hello. I always loved pacmans and decided to get one. I did have one in the past which died unfortunately to a nuerological disease, it never reached adulthood. I never owned one after. Yesterday I stumbled upon one at a pet store who is much bigger than my last one and a different morph all together. It was sold as a strawberry. But I don’t think it is one. It is more of a peach color and has light beige patterns. Is it just a normal albino phase? Or is it an apricot? I am a bit confused in that. In any event it is a stunning creature and I am excited to be a pacman owner once again. Was also wondering if there was any truth to telling male and female apart? I read several different opinions on that. Was wondering anyone’s insight? Thank You
      JJ

Zoodulcis

Beautiful animal. Not sure about color morph. Growth rate, lack of nuptial pads and a tendency to flatten out (pancake) a lot means a female in all likelihood. If this colorful guy/gal sits upright a lot and croaks quite a bit, then you probably have a male.

Jaime
        Participant

Thanks so much. I believe I may have a male. Last night I heard it chirp for the first time. Only twice but it did. Today I cleaned out a bigger tank for it. He is sitting up right now doing light chirps. It isn’t loud at all. But still making a little noise. I got to check out the feet and didn’t see any pads, but then again it is a lighter color morph so I am not sure if the pads would be dark in color or not. I guess I will have to see in time. Again thank you for the reply.

Zoodulcis

No problem and please let us know what you decide, when and why. It may be of interest to other new frog owners.

Jaime
          Participant

Okay. I am somewhat convinced it is a younger male. Reasons being as you stated. He doesn’t pancake too much. He sits upright. Last night he was the most active since bringing him home. He walked around the tank alot and while he didn’t continuously croak all night. He let out about two loud croaks at about 1:30am. He just let out another one and scared the kids. Haha. He is quite active right now. Not sure if it is too warm in here maybe he is hungry (waiting on bugs in the mail and he ate his last cricket yesterday). Still wondering if he is an albino Cranwell? If anyone else would like to pitch in. Thanks everyone.
          PS-Still haven’t got a good look at his nuptial pads. I keep trying. Especially since he is stretching at the side of the tank. I will update as to if and when I see them. Possibly get a photo as well.

Zoodulcis

Tha’s funny that he scared the kids. If indeed he is a male, they better get used to it 😉

In general, do the kids like him as a pet?

Jaime
          Participant

Yes they love looking at him. They are watching him now. The 5 year old is asking lots of questions and the 2 and 1 year old laugh Everytime he moves.

I do think he may be a bit thin. The lady at the store I bought him at told me she feeds him every few days, which I heard would be fine. But she was feeding really small crickets. I got him some night crawlers and horned worms. Hopefully they show up tomorrow.

Zoodulcis

They do have a tendency toward obesity and constipation, so keep an eye on his weight and his feces. He should poop a whole lot regularly, but not necessarily every day. Every other day for a while should result in noticeable weight gain. Then hold off for e days to give his body the feast or famine regime he would have in the wild. I wouldn’t want to accuse any pet store owner of deliberately underfeeding an animal in order to save money, but it does happen.

I bet the toddlers in your home think he is a cartoon character come to life just for their benefit. That must be hysterical to watch.

Jaime
          Participant

Thank you. That is great advice. I was actually reading up and I saw very similar information on exactly what you said. They can gorge while they feel food is plentiful. I visited the store yesterday to grab a few worms. She told me she has only been feeding him a couple small crickets every few days. He only ate one little cricket for me in the few days I have had him. I just noticed him walking around yesterday I can see his skeleton on the back. I do understand they lay kind of flat. So maybe him walking around gravity took his fat and pulled it down making him look skinny. So I looked up photos of other pacmans sitting upright. He def seems a little thin. Not bad, just enough for me to want to give him a few worms. I think I will follow your advice. I have him a nightcrawler yesterday. Took a minute for him to be interested. He didn’t eat the horned worms. So I figured the nightcrawler was good for the day. I will give him one a day for now then wait a day or two. I’ll let you know how that goes. Thanks again.

Zoodulcis

How’s he doin’? Has he started eating well?

Jaime
          Participant

Hi,
          Thank you for asking. We are really enjoying him. He ate a nightcrawler on Monday. I got an order through the mail Tuesday with a bunch of bug goodies for our critters. He refused a horned worms, so I tried another night crawler, he refused that too. Figured the night crawler was a pretty big meal than what he was used to at the pet store. I offered a horned worms yesterday. He ate it! Then ate another. So I am guessing you were giving the right advice as to every other day. I may just offer him some today. To see if he eats it.
          Is there a reason you said every other day? Do they need a day to digest? Do you think it is a bad thing to offer everyday? Or as humans are we trying to mock the environment nature provides for them. Meaning, they wouldn’t find food everyday? Sorry for all the inquiring lol. Just wondering, I want to do the right thing with him.
          Thanks for asking about him❤️

Zoodulcis

So glad he is eating something. Now he needs to poop.

An excellent question about eating regimen. In a way, I think you are zeroing in on the answer yourself. Humans in perfect health need access to food everyday. Sure, they can fast and not starve in a day or two, but over the course of a lifetime, especially in infancy and early youth, mammals need a sustained, reliable source of sustenance.

Not so with many reptiles and amphibians. A pacman frog is opportunistic, but does not actively roam about hunting. They pick a good spot and wait for prey items to wander by. That is why they will eat pretty much anything moving, in the wild. You never know when meals on wheels will pass your way again. It could be an hour after the first item that was unwisely refused (providing it wasn’t too big), or three days later. It is a truly random event, and their bodies have evolved to accommodate this. Hungry humans will go in search of food, daily, sometimes traveling many miles, just like dogs and cats. Ancient humans would go to the food, but pacman frogs wait for food to come to them.

You can see how there can be a bit of a disconnect between anxious new owners, and their patient, stealthy new pets. A deeper understanding of their wild behavior and biology may be helpful for you at this time, in addition to further input from pet owners.

For now, since he is new to his enclosure and just settling in and getting over relocation stress, if he will eat earthworms, then so be it, feed those for a couple of weeks. Every other day is not a hard and fast rule, but it is convenient for many pet owners, and easier to remember. Two days feeding in a row, and then one day of feeding skipped is also fine.

At some point he will need a more varied diet, one that has been gut loaded with all of the vitamins, minerals and D3 recommended for this species. But don’t sweat that for now. Now is the time for him to acclimate and feel at home. Then you can begin to alter variables in his habitat and diet.

I’m very glad he seems to be adjusting. Now your job is to make sure he pooped, but wait a day or two still. They often poop in their burrows and then go and dig another burrow. If there seems to be no sign of feces anywhere in a couple more days, you may need to gently remove him and search his enclosure thoroughly. If still nothing, let us know.

Keep us informed. Inquiring minds want to know!

Jaime
          Participant

I definitely will be checking the tank either tomorrow or the day after. He hasn’t moved much today and while he was awake last night he was pretty still in his burrow and quiet. I didn’t offer him food since he didn’t move much. We are having bad storms right now and I get sensitive to them so I am sure animals do as well. Hopefully I will find something. Thanks for the info too. Helpful.

Zoodulcis

Glad to be able to assist!

Jaime
          Participant

Just an update:
          So since my last post froggy ate two more times. Once a day or two after post. Then I let him rest for a few days. Today I gave him an earthworm which he grabbed right away.
          Now for the poop check. While he was eating his worm I checked the two burrows that he had dug since getting him. No poo. So I looked everywhere else in the tank. I have a water dish in there since the pet store told me he spent most of his time in his water dish. Now this is quite the contrary since he has been with me. I am guessing it is because I have much deeper substrate for him in my tank. Plus the enclosure is much bigger. He was in a holding enclosure for the two first nights I had him. That was so I could set up his bigger one. I didn’t see any poop in there either.
          After he ate his worm I plopped him in his water since he hasn’t been in there at all since I have had him. I figured maybe it would relax him and I have read that they will defecate in their water if you do have a dish. I also read that they aren’t good swimmer so to keep the water shallow and keep an eye on them. He is big enough to get out of there. But I am checking on him periodically just in case. No poo yet but he is still soaking. He has been in there for about an hour. Anymore tips? Should I be worried? We do have reptiles that won’t go for awhile. So I am not sure when to be concerned with the frog.
          Thanks❤️🐸

Jaime
          Participant

Here is another pic. I just think he is cool😍❤️🐸

Zoodulcis

There are some steps you can take, and it may be time to do so. Replace his current bath with fresh dechlorinated water with 1/2 teaspoon of honey well dissolved into the solution. The water temperature can be about 85 degrees F or so. He should stay in this bath for at least 20 minutes, 30 is better, but don’t allow the water to get cool. Then, after this, another bath warm bath with no honey. That way any honey not absorbed into the skin but sitting on the skin itself will get soaked off. Then wait at least 12 hours. The honey acts as an enema, for reasons I am not sure about. Many keepers have had great success with it, and it has no side effects. I think it might be time to give this a try.

Jaime
          Participant

Awesome. I will definitely give that a try. I always use dechlorinator by the way. Thanks for this tip!

Zoodulcis

I figured you always used dechlorinator. But after teaching online courses to undergraduate students, repetition for clarity has become a habit.

Jaime
          Participant

I understand. Just letting you know he won’t be in scary tap water.
          I actually just coaxed him out of his regular water I had him in. He seemed to shed some gooey skin and ate it. I let the kids watch him for a bit and they were cheering him on to poo 😂. I am going to do the honey bath in a little bit to let him sort of chill out since he was in the water for quite some time. I turned his light off too. It has been in the 90s here and I am on the second floor. It gets warm. He doesn’t like it too warm I have noticed. So I am letting him chill out for a little bit then will get him the honey bath. I will let you know how it works out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

ReichertCaleb
      Participant

Hi there
      I’m not sure so I don’t dare to comment but that animal is beautiful.

Jaime
        Participant

He says thank you🐸❤️

Jaime
          Participant

Just an update:
          Since the last time I posted. He had not pooped at all. He did eat several times after and even sings occasionally at night. He didn’t seem sick at all. But I was worried cuz he hasn’t pooped for me at all. I have had him for as few weeks now. Well today I soaked him in another honey bath. While he was in there I noticed he was acting a bit funny. Low and behold he started to poo. But it was really rough to watch. Big and Hard and almost seemed to be stuck. I went to try and help him a few times but he tried to bite me 4 times. Something that he hasn’t done yet. So I decided to let him soak longer than I had planned. Finally it made it’s way out. I w examined his behind to make sure there wasn’t any damage, but all seemed normal. He started hopping normally again as well. I put him in his tank and he hopped around for a bit, then made his burrow. Checked on him a few more times and all seems to be okay with him. I feel so much better that he pooed and I am sure he does too. Poor guy❤️🐸

Zoodulcis

Wow, that’s quite the ‘tail,’ pun intended. Seriously though, thank you for sharing that follow up experience. The details concerning this dilemma, how long it lasted, what finally worked, the animal’s actions and reactions, are extremely valuable. It seems as though this problem is all too common. Some paccies, never experience and some seem to be prone. Knowing the details of what one owner did that resulted in a happy outcome ‘in the end,’ pun intended again, is incredibly valuable. I have learned that the honey bath works great, but for some tough cases, a longer soak may be required and my advice will reflect that in the future. So glad he is better. And since you mentioned croaking even in the midst of some pretty severe constipation misery, I’m assuming a male. Is that your take on it at this time?

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});