Topics Forums Frogs – Pixies, Pacmans, & More! Mottled White Tree Frog — Help?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

hanmi
      Participant
      Mottled White Tree Frog — Help?

Hello Everyone!

One of my White Tree frogs has some mottled brown coloring. In addition, it also almost seems as if they are having a hard time shedding but there has been no change in moisture levels. They have had no appetite for the last few days (I have tried changing up their diet to entice them with no luck) and are now lethargic.

I have them in an 30G 18x18x24 enclosure at 80F and 70 humidity with UVB Lighting. I have a watering dish that is filled a quarter of an inch high, Bend-A-Branches, Fake Vines, and a moss vine in the enclosure.

In my area there is not an exotic vet or a vet specializing in amphibians near so I am trying my best.

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
      Hanmi

Attachments:

Zoodulcis

There’s a couple of things that could be going on, but without a picture, I can’t render an opinion. Please reduce the size of the photo and try again.

hanmi
        Participant

@Zoodulcis

Thank you so much for your reply! I have attached another photo in hopes that this would be more helpful.

Zoodulcis

Huh, this is going to take a little bit of work on my part. I thought perhaps chytrid, but now I’m not so sure. How many dumpies do you have total, and how many are expressing symptoms and when?

Sorry to be so inquisitive, but if you do not have an exotic vet in the area, and I know the feeling, I will have to basically get a medical history from you in order to assist you in making the best and most informed decisions for your little ones. That said, even though I am a zoologist, I am not a veterinarian. I am therefore not licensed to give medical advice, but merely to engage in a conversation about an animal’s care and husbandry. It may be that you will need to travel a ways to visit a vet who can prescribe a treatment, including meds or tests.

That said, within those parameters, I am happy to help you try to figure this out. They do seem thin, and the fact that they all stopped eating at once could be diagnostic. Have you changed anything, added anything, to their environment in the last 60 days? How often do you sterilize the furniture in the habitat?

hanmi
          Participant

Thank you so much.

I had a total of three.

One had passed with no symptoms (No change in appetite, No Lethargy, No Change of color).

My other tree frog has no symptoms at all (they have eaten fine and the little color change would be from a light brown down her dorsal side back to her green once I turn their lights on from the night).

Within the last 60 days: The only thing I had done was I had switched their substrate from Coconut Fiber to Eco Earth — two and a half weeks ago. There was no changes at all, they actually seemed really happy and active. When she started to show symptoms around four days ago, I immediately took out the soil and cleaned everything and got new furniture (New Hanging Leaves, a new moss vine, and new wooden plank). Before hand I would try my best to clean the furniture (the fake vines and Bend-a-branch) once or twice a week.

If this helps, she seems to pepper up a bit when she is in her soak dish. No appetite still, but she starts to lighten just the slightest and move around more.

Zoodulcis

Sounds like your sanitation routine is pretty darn good. What sort of water is in the dish? Spring water? There is a possibility that the little one is dehydrated, or that other things are going on as well. Do you see any signs of discoloration on the dorsal side of the body? When was the last time he/she pooped?

hanmi
          Participant

Thank you. Since she has been having symptoms I have taken to completely cleaning the whole enclosure every day. She does not seem to be getting any worse, but definitely not too much of an improvement. She seems bit more active when she sits in the water though so I take to cleaning and refilling that twice a day so that there is fresh water.

I use dechlorinated water — I use a chemical dechlorinater and leave it out for a day or two just to be safe. Sometimes I will use bottle water if I do not have enough.

I fear because she has no appetite that I can not replace that fluid loss as easily.

No discoloration on the ventral side of the body. The Dorsal side is the kind of mottled brown and greenish tones. Her extremities also have no coloration abnormalities.

I have not seen her poop for a while. I would say two days before the onset — so it has been around 6 days or so since I have seen her have a movement.

Zoodulcis

I think you can reduce your cleaning to every other day. That will reduce any stress caused by that disruption. For they next few days, change the water only once, but put one teaspoon of dissolved honey in it. It will do no harm, and possibly much good, and if constipation is an issue, this should loosen her up if you do it every day for a week. After 7 days, discontinue because it will not provide any further benefit.

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});