Topics Forums Crested Geckos Miracle, Magic & Mystery

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts 2 Favorite

Dantheman
      Participant
      Miracle, Magic & Mystery

Where do I begin?!

I’m a reptile lover and owner of several critters.

THE PLOT:
      My almost 7-year old virgin female crested gecko, Rango, has miraculously laid two batches of fertile eggs.

THE DISCOVERY:
      It was the day after Christmas, the 26th of December 2021. I was prepping and cleaning out the coco bedding of my enclosures, and while working my way through lifting out the old bedding, out pops a live hatchling, with some shed stuck on his tiny feet. I found its egg & two other fat pearly whites that seem to be of the same clutch considering their size. It was indeed a Christmas miracle.

ABOUT THE MOM:
      My female crestie Rango, has been on her own since I’ve had her.
      I got her as a birthday gift in March 2015, as a 3-month old baby crestie. She has been in her own Terrarium (1m wide x 65cm high x 60cm wide) ever since, and has had no contact with a male.
      She always lays beautiful pearly whites, but they have been duds, every time, until now.

THE MIRACLE CRITTERS:
      Two batches have been laid, with 2 fertile eggs in each clutch:
      1 egg x was mummified and moldy when I discovered it in Rango’s coco bedding.
      2 eggs (Magic & Mystery) x are incubated and still developing, I have candled them and there are for sure babies on their way. We can only wait, to see if they hatch.
      1 hatchling (Miracle) x is a live baby with similar colours as Rango, but a white patterned tail, white lipstick and lighter toes, but this could change as it gets older.

MY GUESS OF A THEORY:
      Rango could have gone into ‘survival mode’ for some reason and decided that she does not need a man in her life to make offspring, so she did it herself, even though a secret boyfriend sneaking around sounds more believable, however this is not the case.

I thought I’d document and share this, as I have not read or found information regarding this topic particularly highlighting Crested Geckos, in books or forums. If I could, I’d add more photos to show more context.

Zoodulcis

OMG, that’s fascinating! It is certainly not unheard of though. Here is a great Youtube link that explains it well.

Dantheman
        Participant

Thank you so much for sharing, I had no idea it was possible until now.
        A close-up of the baby, just for interest.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Dantheman.

Zoodulcis

Serious cuteness and a virgin birth! Tis the season.

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});