Topics Forums Lizards Leafy!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 3 Favorite

Reape1777
      Participant
      Leafy!

My giant leafy Horus, in his awesome habitat just watching and being curious as ever. An amazing lizard and one of my favorites!!

CritterDepot
      Keymaster

Oh wow, I love his crazy eyes!  Leaf geckos always reminded me of the “flying squirrels” of the reptile world.

Zoodulcis

Those are indeed incredible!  Is Horus a Satanic Leaf-tailed Gecko?

Reape1777
        Participant

No he is a Giant leaf Tail, he’s about 13″ long.

Zoodulcis

Ah, so he’s not just a really big leaf tail of some kind, but indeed a ‘Giant’.  Thanks for clarifying.  Is that a bioactive habitat with a bromeliad in the background that is partly shown behind Horus?

Reape1777
        Participant

Yes sorry I didn’t post the specifics, he’s a Uroplatus giganteus, and yes bioactive. There’s a few bromeliads, as well as a few other plants as well. 🙂

Zoodulcis

How long has Horus been in his bioactive habitat?  Since he is a Giant, are the plants holding up under his weight?  The bromeliad looks quite nice and not at all squashed.  Other herp fanciers always like knowing what sort of planting work best over time so they are not constantly wasting money on plantings that did stand up to physical abuse or herbivory.

Reape1777
        Participant

He’s been in there about 4.5 months. The tank grew in for about 4 mo ths before I brought him home. He’s been very good with them, I use a mixture of sphagnum moss, charcoal, soil, and sand as well as leaf litter. I must hik 3x a day and keep an LED UVB bulb over the enclosure. Also have a flowing water canteen in there as well for him 🙂

Zoodulcis

A flowing canteen!  That’s an outstanding idea.  And I assume that you meant to say that you mist him 3 times per day.  If only more herp keepers were that conscientioso us.  You plainly have a bromeliad in the habitat, but are there any other plants and if so, what kind?  And thanks for participating freely in this discussion.  Sometimes it’s these little tips that solve huge problems for other keepers.

Viewing 5 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});