Topics Forums Everything Else identify this little guy?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

wblive
      Participant
      identify this little guy?

Stumbled upon this little creature today. Any idea what it is???

CritterDepot
      Keymaster

interesting pattern. What part of the country do you live in?

wblive
        Participant

New england, it came on a crate from Texas. Seemed like he was cold to start, slow moving. We placed him near a space heater for the day and he was great. Decided to put together a habitat for him and he’ll be going in tomorrow. I found a picture match close to a common house gecko.

ABMoore22
          Participant

No, I have Common House Geckos. This is 100% a Mediterranean House Gecko. Heres a link with their info and care requirements. Good luck! https://www.everythingreptiles.com/mediterranean-house-gecko/

wblive
          Participant

That looks exactly right. Thank you for the help

ABMoore22
          Participant

No problem, glad to help. They’re fast and smarter than you’d think when it comes to escaping, just fyi. Lol. If you have any questions or issues with tank set up just ask! (supplies needed, humidity levels, whatever)

Zoodulcis

Thanks for that ID, AB. Also, the new accidental gecko owner may be able to pick up some tips and tricks for care and housing under the Gold dust day gecko guide on the Critter Depot site.

wblive
          Participant

Awesome news. We set him up a nice little spot, he’s exploratory and vibrant. Im glad we were able to aid in his new life as a pet this far. I appreciate the help. Seems like I’ve got a cool little guy to watch. Im glad he fell into our hands by accident.

Zoodulcis

It sometimes happens that way. One forum member rescued an anole who became a beloved family pet. As I recall they moved from south to north, and the little guy hitch-hiked accidentally. He somehow managed not to freeze before they discovered him and saved his life. They admired his pluck and the rest is history.

wblive
          Participant

Pretty similar to our rescue with this little guy. Felt i had no choice but to help him out. Luckily it isn’t quite as cold as it should be between Texas and Massachusetts at this point.

Zoodulcis

That is a remarkably similar story!! So now you have an accidental pet. What do you think of him so far? Have you tried to handle him at all?

wblive
          Participant

He’s great. I was able to find some flightless fruit flies for him at the pet store and introduced them this morning. Hes too skittish and quick to get a hold of. Not sure if thats from being in the wild as opposed to being a bred reptile? Hes got a great little spot in my bosses office so far. Super happy to have him around.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Mine escaped and I taped a box one of the paths hes liked to run then ‘chased’ (waved my arms) from behind him so hed go in the box. Hasnt failed me yet. Used as wide but thin as a box you can get.

wblive
          Participant

I do have a question. I have a UVb light that I was told I needed for his bone development. I have read, since then, that because he is nocturnal that the uv light is actually not necessary. Any idea if it is needed or can I return the light bar?

ABMoore22
          Participant

They say that, but mine actually bask a little. Id keep it, but put a flat rock underneath it so it heats up. (or get a heat mat as well) Mine love to sit on their warm rock under the lamp. In the wild they sit next to a crack or crevice so they can quickly hide if needed when enjoying the sun. Heres a picture of one basking.

Attachments:

wblive
          Participant

I have 2 rocks stacked up under his heat lamp. He spends his days in a little half log i bought. I don’t want to keep the uv light on during the day if he should be sleeping then and im restricted to full black overnight. I arrived at the office this morning and he was on or in-between the slate rocks ready to say good morning.

ABMoore22
          Participant

That’s great. They’re always a little spazy. But will chill a little bit eventually. Make sure they have a 12hr day and night cycle. Setting up a basking spot will help to create a heat gradient and provides a warm spot. Geckos thermoregulate so having a hot and cool side of the tank is essential. The rock cave you have under the lamp is perfect. They love climbing as well.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Also, since he is wild caught, he is used to having light (the sun) on during the day when hes sleeping. Mine more so nap on and off at night and day. lol

wblive
          Participant

So keeping the uv light is wise? Hes loving the rocks. Seems to be eating and disposing wastes normally. I gave him 10 to 15 flightless fruitflies and they aren’t anywhere to be seen. Hes getting comfortable during the day. He seems to be as curious as we are now. Haha.

ABMoore22
          Participant

He does look quite curious! I would definitely keep the light. Most people also dust bugs in calcium and multivitamins with d3. Its less needed with the uv light, but still wise to think about. There’s also bendable vines these geckos might enjoy as well as plants, real or fake. So far, youre doing great. Im not meaning to say you arent. Love that youve got him caves, hiding spots and uv. I just know that they love to climb and hide in plants. And considering hes from the wild he will most likely feel most comfortable in a matching area. The best of luck to you and I love the effort youre putting in!

wblive
          Participant

We plan on building his rocks up and i would like to get some plants in there. Probably a little sand sooner than later if he’s going to be sticking around. Seems to be doing very well. Thank you for the advice and help on this new adventure

ABMoore22
          Participant

Great. And youre welcome, thanks for a least being interested in advice! haha Pothos is a great plant for any reptile and good for climbing. But try to avoid any type of sand. (even calci-sand) It doesnt hold humidity well and can cause impaction and kill reptiles. All it takes is them licking a water drop or eating some sand with a bug. I use coconut fiber (like eco earth) it hold humidity great and is easily broken down in the stomach. I bought a Leopard Gecko kept on sand and he was filled with sand, finally got him to pass it and quickly realized that most of his belly size was sand.

wblive
          Participant

Oh good to know. So I shouldn’t trust any sands from a local petshop?

ABMoore22
          Participant

Nope. They’ll try to sell ya on it, even saying calci-sand is digestible but It’s made from calcium carbonate and over time reduces stomach acid..making it where your pet cannot digest it or much else. But every experienced reptile owner ive read/talked to swears no sand at all. And every time ive bought a pet kept on it, it had issues for a while after. Here’s a link if youre interested: https://www.moonvalleyreptiles.com/enclosures/top-5-worst-reptile-substrates

Zoodulcis

Yep, it’s true. No sand at all, and ignore what they say in any pet store to the contrary. Again, it might be wise to consult the gecko guides presented on the Critter Depot site, especially the one for Leopard Geckos, in this particular instance. I think you will find it helpful.

wblive
          Participant

Execellent, thank you both. How about nail care? A friend said the nails will eventually grow and if they cannot be ground down via nature, they will become long and uncomfortable for the little guy. He mentioned a type of pad the lizard can walk on to keep the nails safe for itself?

ABMoore22
          Participant

Youre welcome! I havent heard anything about their nails (besides things like monitor lizards). But I have sugar gliders and for them i use Heavy Duty Grip/Anti-slip tape (like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z6RSTPN/ref=twister_B07Z6S5HCP?_encoding=UTF8&th=1) in areas they traffic often and they wear it down on their own. Id wait and see if ya need it though.

Nickole
          Participant

No idea on the species but its super duper cute! Please help me out and give my post some gold thanks

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});