Topics Forums Ball Pythons I need help

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

rory2347
      Participant

Hello,

I am looking for some advise or help. I just got a ball python right after Christmas, I set up a 40 gallon tank and got it to all the Temps and humidity that are required and let it sit for a couple days before picking up my new python(23 inches long). For the most part the snake is content just hanging out in one of his hides all day, but at night he constantly tries to climb the glass to escape. Even after feeding he will do this even if he just ate a couple hours prior. My tank has 2 hides, a water dish, two climbing branches, the substrate is coconut Fibre and has sphagnum moss in both hides and is spread out around the enclosure. There is also a tunnel in the middle for him to get from one hide to the other and still stay hidden. The tank has a heat emitter connected to a thermostat with the probe about an inch or inch and a half above the substrate and is set for 78 degrees, there is also a heat mat on one side of the tank connected to a different thermostat set for 90 with the probe under the substrate close to the glass. Humidity stays around 60 to 65 percent(rarely goes below 60). I don’t know if he’s stressed out or if I set the tank wrong but I would love to hear feedback and to know if this is normal behavior. I can provide pictures if needed to show what the set up looks like currently. Also I feed him once ever 5 to 7 days usually 2 hoppers and eats everything no problem.

ABMoore22
      Participant

Hoping I can help. Usually there’s a zoologist here with great advice, but I havent seen her in months..

Anyway, I tend to like slight larger enclosures than required, but 40 is the minimum for an adult ball python. So even though I’d go bigger, it’s not a bad size by any means. As long as you’re sure about the temp and humidity, the next reason it may be doing this is if you don’t have a proper heat gradient. Is all the heating elements on the same side of the tank (For example, all on the right side)? Aside from any uv you may be using, I mean. Uv can be throughout the whole tank from what I’ve learned, though there must be an area they can get into shade and out of the light.

Without this heat to cool side temp difference/gradient, he won’t be able to properly regulate his temp to be comfortable. Hence trying to leave the area for a cooler spot. Most heat is absorbed through their bellies so glad to hear of the heat mat. If not for that I’d recommend placing slate under the heat lamp/emitter.

Now, if you do have a heat gradient, I’ll have to think of any other reasons and/or do more research. Gradient aside, Your tank sounds great though, really.

hyperblondie10
      Participant

Honestly it sounds to me like he wants something to climb up high. I have 2 male snakes(a ball python and a motley boa) and when I rescued my motley boa I was given a 40 gal tank with him. He did the same exact thing you are describing every single night. We upgraded him to the exo terra 36x18x36 and put a nice tall branch in there. He calmed down immediately and comes out every night and just perches peacefully. I did a lot of research when I was having some feeding issues with my ball python and male snakes tend to live in trees in the wild, feeding off mostly birds and such and females send to live on the ground feeding off rodents. Maybe try upgrading him to a taller tank and see if that helps. I’ll see if I have a picture of his tank.

ABMoore22
        Participant

Great advice. I didn’t consider mentioning that because they said they have climbing branches. But yeah, definitely add a branch or level to the height he’s climbing and see if it helps.

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});