Topics Forums Everything Else Hermit crab heater

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

tomandjerry
      Participant

Since the weather is getting colder where I live I’m installing a heater for my hermit crab. Is it better to place beneath the tank or against one of the sides?

ABMoore22
      Participant

That’s a great decision to get a heating mat. Definitely place it on the side/back of the tank. Half of it being above the substrate and half of it below the substrate. All you have to do is make sure you’re misting enough. The added heat may or may not, dry it up a little and if their humidity is not high enough they will slowly suffocate. I bet you’ll see them increase activity though. Mine love their heated side of the tank. Good luck and feel free to drop any questions here!

tomandjerry
        Participant

Thanks! I do have an issue where I’ll be working out of the house most of the day and I don’t have a humidifier. I usually most to keep up the tanks humidity. Would I want to place a sheet of glass over the top to help preserve humidity? I would leave room for air, of course, but I don’t want my crab to overheat.

Zoodulcis

I agree with AB, it’s a great call to provide them with heat, but also a great call to give them a choice with a temperarture gradient inside the habitat.

tomandjerry
        Participant

So place the heater to one side and the gradient would come naturally?

ABMoore22
          Participant

That’s correct. Place the heater on the back of the tank and to one side. I usually choose the back of the right side of the tank and make the corner of the mat touch the bottom corner of the tank.

And yes, cover one side of the lid if you keep losing humidity. I usually try each side at different times and test the percentage of humidity to see which side covered keeps it where I need. Usually it’s the warm side with the heater that ends up being covered. But not always.

Thanks Zoo, I did forget to mention a gradient. Appreciate you as always 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});