Topics Forums Frogs – Pixies, Pacmans, & More! Help me save this froglet!! (Urgent)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Hanna
      Participant
      Help me save this froglet!! (Urgent)

TL;DR: I have a froglet that seems to have limited mobility in his back legs, and I don’t know what kind of frog/toad he is or how to help him, so any ideas are appreciated!! (I do not know the ph, temperature, or anything similar about the water, sadly!)

Hi! A few weeks back, in the process of restoring the pool at the house we recently moved into, my mom and I came across some tadpoles. They would die if left in the pool, so we decided to take up as many as we could reasonably care for and catch (about 15), to raise and release once they were old enough. We did research as we went, and thankfully only lost a few of them. We’re now down to 2 that haven’t been released, one tadpole thats getting pretty big and just got its back legs, and one little froglet. That’s who we’re talking about.

This guy has been smaller than all the others since we caught them, so I worry that the issue may be genetic, but I’m hoping it isn’t. It’s about half an inch long, and seemed to be completely healthy until he started climbing out of the water and we noticed that he was moving a little weird.
      He looked a little bloated (that has since gone down), and doesn’t hop so much as he crawls. I think it may be something wrong with his back legs, given how he sits (as seen in the pictures), but I know little to nothing about frogs.

I’m more than willing and able to keep him and raise him, but I’ve heard that that can be dangerous for the frog/toad if you don’t know what kind they are. If anyone has ANY information, whether that be on the type of frog he is (so I can research how to care for him) or what may be wrong and how to help, anything at all is appreciated.
      (IMAGE IN THE ATTACHMENTS)
      He’s in a spoon right now because, with his limited mobility, he seems unable to keep his head out of the water or stay on high enough rocks to be out of the water. (Also, the spoon is gross in that picture, I cleaned it off right after taking this picture, though!) ALSO, before anyone asks, I’m unsure of the temperature, ph, or anything similar of the water. Since the other tadpoles did so well, we didn’t think to have any way to check these things.

TL;DR: I have a froglet that seems to have limited mobility in his back legs, and I don’t know what kind of frog/toad he is or how to help him, so any ideas are appreciated!! (I do not know the ph, temperature, or anything similar about the water, sadly!)

Zoodulcis

I wish I could help, but from this picture I have not idea what kind of frog he is. Maybe some else in the forum can give you some input. It would help us all to know what part of the country you are in and what elevation you live at.

ABMoore22
      Participant

All I can say is dust the food with calcium with d3 if possible and just let him grow.

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});