Topics Forums Lizards Happy Couple

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

ABMoore22
      Participant
      Happy Couple

I wanted to share the happy couple with you guys. I bought this male Anole with a female originally and his lady friend passed away a few months back. He began acting kinda depressed (even though he has Brown Anoles and house geckos in his enclosure too), so I decided to get him another lady. They sleep together like this every night now and his mood has improved. Decided to catch a picture as I turn on the light for the morning. Company goes a long way with certain species, just some food for thought!

Attachments:

Zoodulcis

Boy, it sure seems like you made the right choice in getting him a companion of his own species. I have been convinced for many years that even lower life forms (non-mammalian) can express an enormous range of emotions other than fear and aggression, such as joy or depression. I bet he is cheered up greatly.

ABMoore22
        Participant

Oh, I agree completely. I believe many animals have more going on than people give them credit for. We’re finding out amazing things about a lot of different animals today that we didnt know just a few years ago.

Zoodulcis

Similar to ageism or sexism, the word for an arrogant assumption about another organism being inferior to oneself, culture, organization etc. is speciesism. Back in the day my biology education was filled with those assumptions, and it is encouraging to see change away from that. Even my father, an employee at the San Diego Zoo when I was a teen, would make the grand claim that ‘man is the only animal aware of his own mortality.’ And I would rebut, ‘and you know this, how?’ And then we’d get into a fight. He is gone now, God rest him, but I still remember my outrage at such an imperious and ridiculous remark.

ABMoore22
          Participant

I agree. You have people that either think animals are very simple creatures and people who think they’re exactly like humans. Im more in the middle and believe they are capable of extraordinary things, physically, mentally and emotionally. But also different from us and also have a huge affecting factor, being very strong instincts. I support your disagreement of your fathers remarks, if that statement were true I dont think we’d see mothers being as protective of their young, or see how an Elk will fight for its life when wolves surround it. Ive even read that whales (I believe it was Humpback) will hear other marine life being attacked by sharks/etc and change directions and rush to intervene and offer help. No simple minded creature is doing that.

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});