Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Chris Bell
      Participant
      Hanging out on the temp. probe. cable

Oscar loves just “hanging around”.

Zoodulcis

I don’t know why beardies enjoy hanging from things so much, but it’s hilarious. Have you had him long?

Chris Bell
      Participant

Just over a month. I figure he is 3-4 mo. old

Zoodulcis

Is he a coronavirus lockdown buddy or had you been thinking about acquiring a beardie for a while?

Chris Bell
          Participant

None of the above. We went to the pet store looking for a small turtle for our 4 yr. old grandson. Well, they had none. We saw these baby dragons and said oh, let’s get one of those… not having any idea at the time how much care is involved in raising one of these pets. Well, after getting him home with crickets and a 20 gal. zoo med terrarium kit, I started doing the care research. Shortly decided that we should have gotten a puppy instead. Would have been a lot cheaper 😄 Now, I have a 120 gallon habitat from zen habitats on order and have spent a small fortune to ensure Oscar’s health and happiness.

Zoodulcis

That’s hilarious. I’m glad I asked, and yeah, they can be pricey but at least they won’t chew up your favorite slippers! What does your grandchild think of all of this? Are they bonding?

Chris Bell
          Participant

He loves Oscar but we have not really let him handle him. He is still a little skittish and just starting to get comfortable with the wife and myself. Put him in a little plastic dish of warm water for the first time over the weekend. He did not like that at all. We keep working with him though.

Best,
          Chris

Zoodulcis

Eventually he will come to love his baths. Socializing beardies is like a dance. Some partners enjoy bold, dramatic moves, others, a more sedate approach. Oscar may prefer the latter approach, although without meeting him it’s hard to be sure. For shy ones it’s less about habituation and more about stress management. Bold animals prefer rapid habituation, where a novel situation is presented until it is no longer novel. Then they can take it for granted and move on to more exciting things. Shy beardies should be handled every other day, for no more than 20 minutes at a time. That 48 hours is what it will take them to process the experience and totally decompress from it, allowing 24 hours with no challenges to the sympathetic nervous system. I don’t know what routine you have established with him, just thought I would share some thoughts.

Best,

Dr. Lauren

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});