Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Dallis L Rose
      Participant
      free crickets

brand new baby just peeking out into the world

Zoodulcis

Oh wow, this gets my vote for best photo so far. Gold dust day gecko?

Dallis L Rose
        Participant

this picture is of one of my baby giant day gecko’s

Zoodulcis

Ah, I see. How many giants do you have in total?

Dallis L Rose
          Participant

8 adult
          6 hold backs
          15 babies waiting for a new home
          21 eggs still incubating

Zoodulcis

Oh wow!! Sounds like you are a serious breeder. What do you like most about raising and selling this species?

Dallis L Rose
          Participant

these little big guys are packed with personality they get to know there keeper and are very curious about what is going on. we have well established free roaming colonies where i live and even the wild ones become very nosy in what is going on and show very little fear of people . We are just a small backyard breeder and love this species.

Zoodulcis

Very cool. You say they are free-roaming. Are you located in Hawaii?

Dallis L Rose
          Participant

My breeders are not free roaming. There has been a very established colonies for decades now in south Florida and the Florida keys
          im in Key West Fl

Zoodulcis

Florida was my second guess.

I am more familiar with established colonies of Geckos in Hawaii. Weirdly, I am also familiar with introduced members of the parrot family in the US. An academic passion of mine. I assumed that your breeders are your babies, and beloved members of the family, but since introduced species are something of a passion of mine, I just had to ask. Thank you for clarifying.

Dallis L Rose
          Participant

my original breeders were wild caught now they live the easy life no fighting or getting eaten by birds. we try to rehome as many geckos (day geckos and tokay)and iguanas as possible outside of florida as that they cant establish due to winter temp. we maintain a class III lic to be able to do so.
          the phelsuma grandis are my favorite such a beautiful display lizard.

Zoodulcis

Very admirable and a course of action I myself would choose.

Funny story of an invasive species…I had a Mormon neighbor in Utah (now there’s a shocker) who had a green iguana get loose from her residence in Saint George many many years ago. The entire neighborhood would assure her periodically that the beastie was doing just fine through some vicious Utah winters. He was not shy about begging for handouts and knew where all of the uninsulated coal stokers in people’s unsecured basements were. A real genious at survival, that one! We should all be so resourceful and resilient.

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});