Topics Forums Frogs – Pixies, Pacmans, & More! Dechlorinated water?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

tomandjerry
      Participant

I have two tomato frogs and a hermit crab, and they both need daily misting and fresh water to wade in. I’ve had them for several months now but I’ve been reading more guides which say chlorinated water can be harmful to them. Is it really important to have dechlorinated water? Buying loads of bottle water for them every day seems expensive and inconvenient, but I want my pets to be healthy.

ABMoore22
      Participant

Yes, it is very important. BUT the good news is that you do not have to buy bottles water! Do a Google (or pet shop) search and you’ll find all kinds of options of water conditioners for fish, frogs and reptiles (i use the fish kind, it’s the same thing but a cheaper price!). They strip out all the chlorine and chemicals out of any water. Such as sink water! If you need help finding one I can get a link for you. I usually use Amazon

Zoodulcis

Yes it is really really important for them to have dechlorinated water. I don’t even use it on my house plants! You can buy inexpensive dechlorination tablets, or you can do what I do. Set out a gallon of water on the counter in a wide mouth pan, not a one gallon jug, for 24 hours. This allows enough off-gassing to make the water safe for your pets. Start this practice today, absolutely!

tomandjerry
        Participant

Could I leave water out in a covered container, like a tupperware?

Zoodulcis

That defeats the purpose. But you could leave it out with a cheesecloth cover, if you are concerned about pets getting into it or something. The air must be allowed to escape into the room in order for the process to occur. If you cover it with anything at all, even cheesecloth, I recommend aging the water for 36 hours.

ABMoore22
          Participant

I was always too paranoid everything wouldnt evaporate out of it to not use conditioners haha! I know this is common and it’s said to work just as well. I’m just one of those over cautious pet owners. 😛 they do have water testing strips to know if your water is safe or not.

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});