Topics Forums Chameleons Cricket Contest Janet Jackson the Jackson's Chameleon

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

StephanieTrapp
      Participant
      Cricket Contest Janet Jackson the Jackson's Chameleon

This is our female Jackson’s chameleon, Janet, giving us the stink eye. In typical chameleon fashion, she hates our guts!

Zoodulcis

Yeah, that is pretty much the stink eye. Nice enclosure she has there, so maybe she just doesn’t ever want to leave it. How old is she and how long have you had her?

StephanieTrapp
        Participant

Thank you! She loves her weeping fig during the day and generally curls up under a pothos leaf to go to sleep every night. She is 8 months old, I have had her for about 2.5 months now. For some reason she hasn’t shed for me yet, so she is still the same size as when I got her.

nixi
      Participant

gave you a coin please return the favor 🙂

Zoodulcis

Shedding time will be coming up pretty soon as the days get longer. How interested are you in hand taming her or have you decided that her personality just is not conducive?

StephanieTrapp
        Participant

Being a Jacksons, she is pretty chill even when I am doing something she doesn’t like, like getting her out of her cage to clean it. She gives me a good karate chop arm, but after a few seconds she more or less walks onto my hand with some gentle butt nudges 😛 You can just tell she would very much prefer to be left alone, so I give her her space.

StephanieTrapp
        Participant

Just as you predicted, she started shedding yesterday!

Cnylouhoo
      Participant

Awww, I know that look well. I had a veiled chameleon. I held her often. The younger they are the better for getting them out and used to you. She always “puffed” at me at first in her chameleon attitude fashion but as soon as she yielded to me petting her head and side, she quickly was quiet and content. I rather liked her little attitude 😉

StephanieTrapp
        Participant

I love that cham attitude! Ive seen videos of Veileds letting everyone know who is boss. Compared to them, my little Janet is a lamb haha

Zoodulcis

She seems to be friendly enough that handling doesn’t stress her out. Some critters just don’t like to be held all that much. So what made you choose Janet to begin with?

StephanieTrapp
        Participant

We were just kidding around with the whole Janet Jackson thing, and it ended up sticking despite choosing a different name at the time.

Zoodulcis

So nice to be right;) I love the Janet Jackson name, it’s a hoot.

Is she crabby now that she is shedding or pretty much just the same? Are you planning on misting her a little extra during this time?

StephanieTrapp
        Participant

She is definitely more agitated; she is walking around her cage trying to rub on everything to get the skin off. She usually has her one spot (the spot in the picture) where she hangs out for 80% of the day. Today she is all over the place, it is actually quite entertaining. Finally she is utilizing my wonderful stick highway system 🙂

Her shed is going super well at the moment, so I am going to keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn’t need any extra moisture. She has an automatic mister, and our humidity is pretty high for the next few days, so I’m going to see how it goes with her normal misting schedule.

Zoodulcis

Ah shedding…such fun. If you have an automatic mister, then it’s probably all good. No sense inviting a respiratory illness. If you change your mind and decide to provide an extra misting manually, remember to use warm, dechlorinated water.

Enjoy her shedding antics, and be sure to take note of her toes to make all those unwanted skin bits are totally gone.

Viewing 7 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});