Topics Forums Leopard Geckos Cricket Contest featuring my Gecko

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Rebekahmcd
      Participant
      Cricket Contest featuring my Gecko

This is my Gecko Inde or Independence, because I adopted her on July 4th lol. She is my first of three Leopard geckos and is around 3 years old. Inde has such a personality. She is constantly exploring her 40 gallon tank and love the the new tube I put in there. She is in it all the time. When she isn’t wanting food she is exploring her tank or you!
      This is my first post and I can’t wait to see and share more reptile stuff❤️

Zoodulcis

Inde is surveying her realm from the tube. Or is she defending it!!? What made you adopt her? Do you already have the other two or are they on their way to you?

Rebekahmcd
        Participant

She might be defending it lol.
        Anyway I wanted a reptile for a while and I then chose leopard geckos because it was a good beginner reptile. I’m going to get different reptiles soon but for now I just have my geckos I have had her since she was 7-8 months old and I got her off craigslist. I did do months and months of research before I got her. And I do already have two more:
        Zeppe, I got her like 3-4 months after Inde because she was a good deal and came with a tone of stuff. It was dumb at the time but I’m good now. she is about 9

Echo, I got a litte over a year after the first two. He was in fairly bad shape off of craigslist and I felt so bad for him and that he might go to a bad place because he was free. I got him and I thought he wouldn’t make it but he did. Ironically he is my best behaved!

I love them all sooooo much! Anymore question feel free to ask<3

Zoodulcis

Sounds like Echo is grateful to be alive. No joke, I have seen that myself and know many other pet owners of all sorts of species who are convinced that their pets are actually showing gratitude to the human that rescued them. It’s common for scientists to dismiss those sorts of observations as ‘anthropomorphism’ and there may be some of that, sure, thinking that an animal is more like a human than it really is. However, and new information about animal behaviors driven by emotion come to light within the scientific community, this scientist prefers to keep an open mind. I believe on a personal level that giving animals credit for a greater measure of intelligence than has been true in the past not only makes us better humans and pet owners, it makes us better scientists because we are more open-minded and able therefore to ask more interesting questions. Now I will take off my professor hat and ask you what sort of additional reptile, amphibian or both, species are you dreaming of acquiring when you are ready and have done the research. Oh and kudos to you for doing that research and being armed with information. Keep it up!

Rebekahmcd
          Participant

Exactly!
          And thank you!<3

At the moment, these are what I am looking at getting within the next few years, more leopard gecko, a tokay gecko, crested gecko or gargoyle gecko, day geckos, a snake(ball python or hognose most likely ), bearded dragon(that’s a maybe), uromastyx (also maybe), some sort of anoles, a tarantula, a millipede, multiple stag beetle(I would like to breed them), a frog/frogs, catfish, an eel,shrimp, crabs, pleco, and a red tegu, though the tegu and fish might be much longer.

How about you? Do you have any reptiles, amphibians, or other pets of that sort? What are you dreaming of getting?

Zoodulcis

I do not have other pets ‘of that sort’ at the moment. Right now I have 7 incredibly spoiled Nubian goats that I hike with everyday. But at my age, I am not adding baby goats to the herd, just enjoying the oldsters I have until they go to that lush pasture in the sky. Then I am going to get back into ball pythons, in a big way.

You, on the other hand, are fully preparing for a zoo of your own!! Very ambitious. Other than leos, what would your favorite three pets out of the extensive list that you posted be. In other words, if you could only have three other species, what would they be?

Rebekahmcd
          Participant

Awwww
          I love goats. Such awesome animals. How long have you had them? It sound like you once had ball pythons? That sounds awesome and wanting to go back in to them is cool too! I guess I’ll answer your question now.
          Well of my long list I would choose red tegu,tokay gecko, and a ball python . Those are definitely my favorite. Do you have any favorite ball python morphs? From the sound of it you are quite interested.

Zoodulcis

I have been at the goat thing for 20 years and I am something of an international expert. Ya gotta be an expert at something, right?

I am going to want ball pythons that are friendly and hardy. I do have a jones for some of the light-colored morphs but I need to do more research on the pros and cons of any lethal genes associated with certain morphs. These sorts of issues plague some of the more showy leos and I don’t want to get involved in that because I worry too much.

OK so why tokay geckos since they have a pretty good bite on them?

Rebekahmcd
          Participant

Awesome! The goat thing is pretty cool. Also Researching morphs is definitely a good idea as there is a few that have issues.
          Well I like tokay gecko for there size,diet and how they look. I also would like to breed them so there is more captive bred as most are imports sadly. Anything helps. The imports are almost always aggressive but captive bred are not as bad. Captive bred still can be aggressive but from my research they are much easier to tame and are less likely to be the stereotypical tokay gecko mood. Still not as calm as a crested though.

Rebekahmcd
          Participant

I also wouldn’t really care if they bite me. One: They think they are being threatened so they act. And two: I have a high pain tolerance lol.

Zoodulcis

Too funny. I too don’t care about being bitten very much. In elementary school I found a huge alligator lizard on the school playground landscaping. When the bell rang and all the other kids went in I tried to grab it. It grabbed me instead on the fatty part of the hand just below the thumb. And he wouldn’t let go. I was so fascinated that I went into the classroom, late, with the lizard hanging from my hand to show everybody. The teacher was not amused!

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});