Topics Forums Everything Else Cricket Contest

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 25 Favorite

ChickenMann123
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

Entering for March 2022 Cricket Contest is Debbie! Debbie is a Buff Brahma we picked up from the post office in October 2021 when she was a day old along with her 3 “Sisters” we had gotten. She is a wonderful Chicken who GOES NUTS for anything that is smaller than her and that can move and/or squirm. We keep her and her sisters in a rather large chicken coop and Whenever I come out to the chicken coop she will run up to the side of the coop that I am at and start ducking and weaving, I like to call it the happy dance. Debbie’s name came from a series on Netflix which is called Lost in Space, there is a Rhode Island Red Hen in there named Debbie and she is treated like royalty! Its a really good show. Beside her is one of her Luxurious eggs, hers out of all of our chickens taste the best. Eggs that are produced at home ALWAYS taste the best! Whenever my family or I go to the store we almost always head to the egg section like it is an instinct, but then we remember all of the eggs at home and usually skip it. Being able to win this contest would really help make my chickens/chicks stay happy and healthy! Thanks for stopping by to learn a bit about Debbie! Have a great day!

Attachments:

ABMoore22
      Participant

Debbie looks great! And we also love that show. lol Ill start adding on the votes the next few days! Good luck!

Ubergeko
        Participant

cute

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Ubergeko.

ChickenMann123
      Participant

Thanks ABMoore22 for the votes!!! I really appreciate it

CritterDepot
      Keymaster

Wow, how many chickens do you raise? Do you ever enter them into ag show contests? there’s a local farm show near us every year, and we’re always amazed how much pampering these chickens and ducks receive lol

ChickenMann123
        Participant

We have 4 wonderful chickens right now!

Zoodulcis

Brahmas are so awesome and so huge. Do you give her crickets daily?

ChickenMann123
          Participant

I usually give her Superworms and/or Mealworms because thats what we usually have available in our area! But sometimes I would go and catch some Crickets to feed to Debbie and her sisters

Zoodulcis

She sounds very lucky to be in your care. You probably know this already, but feeding wild-caught earthworms to chickens can result in blackhead disease. But other items should be OK as long as you worm your girls once a year.

ChickenMann123
          Participant

We dont generally see many Earthworms, or any worms around my area. We do get quite a bit of crickets so I feed them those, I usually set the Crickets in some warm water(That wont kill them) for 2 minutes because I had read somewhere that it gets rid of internal worms. I honestly thought this would never work but I did it anyways. I still am very skeptical of this so I dont feed them many Crickets from outside and usually stick to Superworms and Mealworms.

Zoodulcis

I know putting a sleeping kid’s fingers in warm water when on a sleepover will get them to pee, much to the hilarity of their little fiends, I mean friends. Oooops, revealed a part of my misspent youth. But the warm water treatment for crickets and their parasites, not a clue, never heard of that one.

ChickenMann123
          Participant

Lol!

King
      Participant

Lovely Feather patterns across the neck! And curious question; do all Brahma’s have feathery feet, or is it just the Buff Brahma?

ChickenMann123
        Participant

Thank you! And great question! All Brahamas have feathered legs, Brahmas are known for their docility(Not sure if this is a word) and their feathery legs!

Laurren
      Participant

I have been thinking about getting some chickens sometime, and I am quite curious, do chickens molt or some certain species, what is their molting situation?

ChickenMann123
        Participant

All chickens will molt once per year, generally occuring once summer is ending, because winter is approaching!

Zoodulcis

Insectman is correct, and they look really funky during molt. When kept in a coop, extra cleaning is need during that time. But once molt is over, they look all shiny and new.

Laurren
        Participant

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Laurren.

Zoodulcis

Sorry you lost by one point last month. That’s a bummer but it sometimes happens that way. Don’t be discouraged, just enter again immediately!

Viewing 6 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});