Topics Forums Chameleons Cricket Contest

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts 6 Favorite

dottierae
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

Hello,
      This is our 6-month-old veiled chameleon named Freddie, as in Freddie Mercury. He is a total rock star! We could watch him all day long. He’s our first reptile pet ever and luckily he is pretty friendly for a veiled chameleon. But he definitely gets “hangry” and he can devour many crickets, mealworms, soldier fly larvae and the occasional hornworm. He’s not picky. He will eat the mealworms and fly larvae straight out of the palm of our hands which is just about the coolest thing ever.

Attachments:

Zoodulcis

Really awesome photo. Freddie looks like he might be a bit of a ham. What made you decide to get a chameleon?

dottierae
        Participant

Thank you! My 13 year old son took that picture. We bought him the chameleon for his birthday because he’d been wanting one for a long time. They are just such interesting creatures. A little high maintenance, yes. But worth all the extra effort!

Zoodulcis

I bet your son is having a blast with him. Does he do all of the feeding and cleaning?

dottierae
          Participant

He is having a blast. We also have 3 cats and a hamster and, to be honest, most of the feeding/cleaning falls on me. I don’t really mind because I love taking care of animals but I am pushing my son to get more involved in caring for Freddie and he is trying, but he gets creeped out by the crickets. They are kinda creepy, right?

Zoodulcis

Maybe a little creepy.

I always encourage parents to directly involve their children in the day-to-day care of their pets of any kind. There is so much science to indicate that this responsibility yields life long benefits, beginning with a capacity for increased empathy in adulthood. Not super common knowledge outside of academia, so I am happy to share that info with forum members.

dottierae
          Participant

Thank you for sharing. I totally agree!

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});