Topics Forums Leopard Geckos Cricket Contest

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 3 Favorite

Justin Boeser
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

This is Little Cin, short for Cinnamon. We rescued her about 2 months ago from a very sad situation of neglect. She was sharing a 20 gallon enclosure with another leopard gecko, Beatrice, that was much larger than she was. When I arrived at the owner’s house, I was shocked. I immediately noticed Little Cin was missing most of her toes, was flat to the ground, had floppy arms, a bent spine, and was surrounded by crickets that she was too weak to chase and catch. She was not being given vitamins, supplements, or UVB and, upon getting her home, it was pretty clear that she was suffering from metabolic bone disease. I witnessed Beatrice, who turned out to be a male, lay on top of her and outcompete her for food. I separated them immediately. At first, she was unable to lift her body off of the ground at all. “She’s unique and crooked!” The owner told me. I was so happy to have found her. I tong feed her dusted crickets every other day with the occasional mealworm. Once a week, I syringe feed her a healthy dose of Reptaboost. For the first few weeks, she got electrolyte soaks as well as a shallow dish (rather, an overturned Tupperware lid so she can reach it) of electrolyte water. Today, she has more energy and even climbs up on her hide. She can lift most of her body off of the ground but still struggles with her floppy arms. Sadly, they will most likely never get better. But I even catch her basking under her tropical UVB light and licking water off of her leaves. She’s got the sweetest little face! Last week, she had a full and healthy shed with NONE OF IT left stuck on her and I am so proud of her 🙂

Justin Boeser
      Participant

I made her this adorable little humidity hide when she went into shed! Lots of moss with a chunk of cork bark for her to go under. And a few crystals! Because of her injuries, I had to help her get the shed off of her front legs. But she took it from there and managed to do the rest all by herself!

Justin Boeser
      Participant

This is her favorite hide right under her heat lamp! She tried so hard to get on top but doesn’t have any claws left on her front legs so she’s lost the ability to latch on and climb. So I made her a little cardboard ladder that she uses all the time to bask in the heat. Here she is getting a little cryptic basking of her new UVB light, soaking it up!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Justin Boeser.

Zoodulcis

What a shame that her former owner was such an idiot. Although you are probably right and her little arms will never be strong and normal, your excellent care is plainly giving her a new lease on life. Your description of your process with her is super helpful and may benefit other members with rescued reps.

Justin Boeser
          Participant

Thank you! It’s honestly been very very heartwarming to see her progress and I’ve learned a lot through it. We’ve rescued pythons and boas but this is definitely a first MBD case for me and I’m glad to learn it and be able to take in others in the future. And you’re right, maybe even help someone else learn about it too!

One of the things I left out is that she has the paper towels because 1) I fear that a substrate of any kind could give her road rash from dragging her body around and 2) the previous owner had her on a carpeted mat and what few claws she had left were all stuck in it. Kinda traumatized me a little bit!

Zoodulcis

I agree that for now, paper towels are a good call. The reptile mats with loop and snags get a frownie face from me 😣. These should not be on the market at all.

Do you rehome the snakes that you rescue, or do they live with you permanently?

Justin Boeser
          Participant

Big frownie face from me too!! I’ve seen them on the market but never knew that they could be so dangerous. Sickening that they’re still sold.

We intend to rehome a couple of our rescues! One of them is a ball python whose owner was too afraid of her overly defensive demeanor to even reach in and change her water. So we are slowly working on taming her down (starting with corrected husbandry) so we can find her a loving home. But there are 2 other ball pythons and a boa imperator (all rescues) that are definitely part of our family now 🙂

We are considering starting a patreon so we can afford to continue our little rescue mission and occasional vet visits. Our boa, Babs, is a big girl at 8 feet long and she’s got an appointment coming up for a possible RI from her previous owner keeping her in a 3ft swampy, dirty tub 🤢

ABMoore22
          Participant

Here are some sites that may help you rehome to great homes..or get a few more rescues. Both are accurate for these sites, talking from experience. lol. adoptapet.com, rescueme.org and hoobly.com

Justin Boeser
          Participant

Thank you! I’ve never heard of Hoobly. Checking it out now. Thanks again!

Zoodulcis

I don’t know you all that well, but from what I can see, I believe that your ball python with behavioral issues will turn around brilliantly under your care. And AB is a great source of support and leads on tips, tricks, and general support. I am very glad that you have chosen this forum and I look forward to sharing your adventure. We do not allow marketing on this site, but that doesn’t mean you can’t extoll the virtues of a pet who is ready to be rehomed. And as always, a narrative that details your rescue journey is always, always, super welcome!

Justin Boeser
          Participant

Thank you! That means a lot and I will certainly update here 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});