• Author
    Posts 5 Favorite

Tawnya Edwards
      Participant

Zoodulcis

Nice habitat set-up. Is it bioactive?

Tawnya Edwards
        Participant

Thank you …I’m not exactly sure what a bioactive setup is but I bought a setup kit for a cameleon…

Zoodulcis

A bioactive setup will work for most reptiles. It means that you are providing a micro-biome for your reptile/reptiles. There is a specific type of substrate on the bottom, some live plants, and a whole lot of detritivores. I like the fact that you don’t have to sanitize it more than once per year, if that! Otherwise, with a conventional set-up, the plastic furniture needs to be sterilized once a month, as does the substrate.

ABMoore22
          Participant

A bioactive is set up to that has living elements that work together. Like a miniature ecosystem. Live plants, springtails/isopods, etc. I have one, theyre great but a lot of work at first. He looks like a veiled Chameleon, I have one too. Dont know if anyone told you but the Chameleon enclosures they sell will most likely end up being too small for him as he grows. Theyre great for babies though. Eventually he will need an enclosure the minimum size of 4 feet long by 3 feet wide and 4 feet high

Zoodulcis

Yep, AB has some excellent points. It’s true that they are a bit more difficult in the beginning to set up properly. But so worth it. Don’t you think, AB?

ABMoore22
          Participant

For sure. They take a lot of time and patience if you plan on handling too. Pet shops always sell the “complete” set-up’s for Cham’s but dont tell people that it will only last a few months. I had a 2 x 2 x 3 and it only lasted a few months before he was climbing the screen acting stressed. Gotta get a certain type of bulb too. Others dont give off enough UV for these guys. But they are so much fun!

Tawnya Edwards
          Participant

Thank you so much for the information…ya Little Moe already out grew her setup…I had to get a bigger habitat for her…and I have the Uvb bulb in the daytime and the red heat bulb for night time…I hope I’m doing everything right for her ..I sprinkle calcium on crickets a couple times a week and I mist her habitat a few times a day… thank you so much..

ABMoore22
          Participant

Sounds good. Im glad you already changed her enclosure size too. I hate how they sell those as complete when theyre only good for babies. Here’s the UV and fixture most people recommend. I saw a huge increase of my chams activity after switching to this from the round compact uv bulbs and the spiral ones. Those I only keep for back-up now.

Link’s arent working. So if youre interested, just go to amazon and type this in, theyll pop up:

“Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 T5-Ho Uvb Fluorescent Lamp – 24 w – 22”
          “Jump Start JSFC2T T5 Fixture with Lamp, Reflector and Timer, 2′, 2 Foot, Silver”

ABMoore22
          Participant

Also, you dont need the night bulb if your house stays between 55ºF and 65ºF at night without chilly drafts. The drop in temperature helps them sleep supposedly. I dont use any heat at night. But, if its been working for you no worries. 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});