Topics Forums Lizards Cricket Contest

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 4 Favorite

tlstaz6543
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

Izzy’s (a Madagascar spiny tailed iguana) thoughts on the possibility of not winning 😂😂

Zoodulcis

Izzy looks like she/he could certainly appreciate a win.  Question for you, I was under the impression that these lizards are herbivorous, so what will Izzy do with all of those crickets or am I mistaken about the diet of the Madagascan variety of iguana?

tlstaz6543
      Participant

Hi!  From what we were told when we got her and Spike, they mainly feed on crickets.  Sometimes we’ll put some veggies and leafy greens but they mostly eat crickets…they chow them down too!

Zoodulcis

Thanks for clarifying that!  In case we ever do a care guide on this species, and I hope that we do, I am going to start doing my homework now.  How many crickets per day does Izzy eat and do you feed every day or allow for a fasting day?

tlstaz6543
      Participant

We feed her and Spike about 30 or so every 3 or 4 days.  At first, we were buying too large of a cricket and we think she was intimidated because she wasn’t eating as well as Spike.   We started ordering smaller ones and now she chows down lol

Zoodulcis

Is Spike another Madagascan?  If they are a pair, then I assume you are thinking of breeding them?

tlstaz6543
      Participant

He is!  It wasn’t our intention when we got them to breed them but if they do, it’s be cool.  We really didn’t know what sex they were.  It was with research after the fact that we’ve decided, and could still be wrong, what they were.  We bought them at a local Repitcon event almost a year and half ago. Spike is larger than Izzy.  I’ll share some more pics 😊

Zoodulcis

People who have been to large Repticons say that they are an absolute hoot.  What was your overall impression?  Where was the one that you attended?

tlstaz6543
      Participant

There were critters everywhere lol.  It was in East Ridge, TN…just over the state line from GA which is where we live.  Here are some more pics of Spike and Izzy…first their ‘home’ and then individuals.  Spike is larger than Izzy and currently shedding or molting or whatever it is they do lol.

Zoodulcis

If these guys are over 15 months old they could start breeding anytime, but the eggs may not be fertile.  If you decide you have your heart-set on cute little mini spinies, then I would start brumation in September to encourage a breeding cycle in early spring of 2020.  Can’t wait to see those promised photos of the happy couple!

tlstaz6543
      Participant

I’m replying and attaching additional photos but for some reason, they’re not showing up in the thread.  I’m not sure what I am doing wrong 🙁

Zoodulcis

Let me refer this issue to the grand poobah (Keymaster) to see what is showing up on his end of things and get his input on troubleshooting.

tlstaz6543
      Participant

Thank you!

tlstaz6543
      Participant

I think my pics are too large…not sure if I know how to fix that.  Getting my son’s help lol

CritterDepot
        Keymaster

Thanks for the beautiful pic of your iguana!  I heard about your trouble uploading pics, and I think it has to do with the size of the file.  I’m uploading a pic here to see if I can get it to work.

Attachments:

CritterDepot
          Keymaster

hmmm looks like it isn’t working, regardless of pic size.  sorry about that!  I’ll have to reach out to someone a bit more tech savvy.

Viewing 13 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});