Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Cricket contest

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 29 Favorite
      Leslie
      Participant
      Cricket contest

Horny relaxing. After a long day of work eating this is the place Horny always goes too. It must be his favorite place. He is to big for the smaller vine so he upgraded to a bigger one. He still has that log that he is relaxing on. I like how he lets his legs dangle off the sides.

Leslie
      Participant

Any idea why my picture is small?

Zoodulcis

Ironically, you may need to make it even smaller so that the algorithm adjusts it upward. But I am the moderator only, not the IT expert.

ABMoore22
      Participant

There’s you a few more votes. Hope you can get a few more and win. Ask any friends or family you can to vote, too. I don’t have social media either, so that’s what I did.

ABMoore22
      Participant

I think you may be in the lead now, if the vote numbers are correct.

Leslie
        Participant

Thanks for the help. Just a random question I’m not sure if I asked this already or not. For his greens like turnip greens, mustard greens, and collard greens, is it okay for him to eat the stem part at the bottom? Or only the leafy parts? I’ve been removing the stems just to be on the safe side, but if he can eat them I would like to feed them to him as well. Also, do bearded dragons go through something where they will only eat fruits and veggies and no bugs? Cause Horny is doing that now. Is this normal? Does he somehow know what he needs?

Zoodulcis

He can eat the stemmy part as long as it is not too big. The issue is not digestion, but rather choking. So just be a bit cautious there.

AS Horny matures, he will pivot from almost all protein, to almost all greens. He may be undergoing that transition now. I wouldn’t worry, it is quite normal. Also, he may revert as some point in a few days and prefer his bugs again. He does know what he needs, so you can trust him.

Leslie
          Participant

Thanks for the help. I have been throwing the stems away, but I think I’ll see if he eats it. It is green, so he should. I’ll cut it small like I do with all his veggies. My older nephew that does live with me just throws in whole leafs after removing the stem for him to eat. Would he just bite it off if it was to big? I am a worried person I’m always afraid of his food being to big that he will choke. Also is there really a need for me to cut his greens into smaller pieces?

Zoodulcis

In my opinion, yes I would chop the stems. Out of an abundance of caution.

Leslie
          Participant

I will cut the stems up, but how bout the leafy part? Does that need cut up, or could I just put the whole leaf in there?

Zoodulcis

I think just tearing the leaf into small bits would work. Easier than cutting it up. I would not put in a whole leaf.

Leslie
        Participant

How are you able to give more than 1 vote? My nephew signed up and can only give 1? Is that the max? Or am I missing something?

Zoodulcis

One vote only. Even I can only give vote per post.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Im only able to get ya a few because I have my family who voted for me, also vote for you. One vote per email used to make the account.

Leslie
          Participant

Thanks for the votes. I got a couple family members to sign up and vote for me. I’m sure I can get a few friends to vote also. let’s see what happens.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Your’e welcome! I hope they vote. Good luck!

Leslie
          Participant

I am sure they will sign up and vote. Just not sure when, by the looks of it none of them have signed up yet. I know my nephews will and a few friends already said they voted. We will see what happens.

Leslie
          Participant

Can I feed Horny grasshoppers? I know my tokay gecko loved the live ones. Since I can’t buy live grasshoppers any where I was thinking freeze dried ones? Since he will eat crickets moving or not. I want to give him other bugs besides crickets all the time and I’m not allowed to get roaches. Here is a picture of what I’m talking about.

Zoodulcis

Absolutely! Just do not provide live food from the wild, because of the risk of parasites.

Leslie
          Participant

I wasn’t sure if the thorny legs on the grasshoppers would hurt or not. I think it is stupid that it is illegal to sell live grasshoppers, there are literally thousands of them in my yard when the weather warms up. Me and my nephew catches them for his turtles or his praying mantis or just for his Venus flytraps to eat. Either way they get caught.

Zoodulcis

I think Horny can handle them. If he is not rushed he will be able to manipulate them in his mouth to avoid injury.

Leslie
          Participant

They got delivered today. Horny loves them. They are about the size of his crickets maybe just a little bigger. I put like 10 in his salad bowl and went to town eating them. It’s like he was looking at me wanting more. I’m just glad I found other insects he likes instead of crickets all the time. Like his greens I’m surprised he isn’t tired of eating the same stuff every day.

Zoodulcis

That’s great! Variety is not only the spice of life, it’s a guarantee of proper nutrition over the long run.

ABMoore22
      Participant

Fingers still crossed that you win. So far only one with more votes than you, a Beardie on a skateboard. lol. Get some more votes this week if ya can!!

Leslie
        Participant

I’m trying. I have a few more signing up.
        My neighbor likes Horny so much, that she went out and bought a bearded dragon. She said if she needs help she will ask me.

ABMoore22
          Participant

There ya go! Always nice inspiring people to become new owners. Hope you win. Highest votes is 18 as of right now, ya just need 3 more to be in the lead, as of now.

Leslie
          Participant

I got my sister to post on her social media for me since I don’t use it much. My neighbor isn’t really a lizard person which surprised me she got one. It’s just a little thing, about as big as Horny when I first got him.

Zoodulcis

Looks like you were a positive influence on your neighbor. If she has never owned a beardie before, she should read the care guide on this site and join the forum to get idea of some new owner’s questions and issues. Oh and she should buy all of her feeder insects from Critter Depot, of course. 😅

Leslie
          Participant

She’s been going to the petstore every other day and buying 6 dozens of crickets at a time for $14. I told her that she should just buy online, but she said she has no idea how to keep them alive. I’m trying to talk her into it, I don’t think it’s working to good.

Zoodulcis

Keeping them alive is easy, if done right. They are some of the hardiest creatures on earth. All she needs is a plastic basin, 12 x 24 will do, a couple of empty cardboard egg cartons, some high quality gutload and a couple of potato halves that go into the container every week for moisture.

ABMoore22
      Participant

You are in the lead by 1 vote. Beardie on a skateboard has 21. I’m really rooting for ya!

ABMoore22
        Participant

I meant they have 20

Leslie
          Participant

Thanks. Quick question. One of you or both will probably know. Horny has not gone to the bathroom for almost a week. Is it to soon to start worrying? Or is there anything I can give him or do to help him go? Is the only thing I can do is let him soak in warm water and massage his tummy? He usually poops at 8am every day but there’s been nothing for the last 5-7 days.

Zoodulcis

There is one dietary substance that all pet owners swear by, and that is pumpkin. Just the precooked mashed pumpkin for pies that you get in the store. I would offer that to him daily and see what happens. Also, withhold all mealworms until he is regular again.

Leslie
          Participant

After about 20 minutes after asking that question, he went to the bathroom. Maybe he will start going normally again.

Zoodulcis

So maybe no need for pumpkin! But’s it’s a handy item to have on hand.

Leslie
          Participant

Is it the canned pumpkin? I’ll go buy a can or 2 of it just in case I ever do need it. Also can I give it to him like every week just to change his food up a little?

Zoodulcis

Yes, canned pumpkin from any grocery store is all you need. It’s good to just have it on hand for those constipation moments.

Daniel
      Participant

the breardie with the skateboard is winning now!

Zoodulcis

That’s great. But I must caution you. If you are related to Erick, or if you are Erick, rude, snarky, and otherwise ugly comments to other forum members will not be tolerated. I can and will delete your entire post thread if it appears that you are not in compliance with forum guidelines for civility. This means of course, that no matter how many golds you have, it can all go away at the touch of a button. I hope we are clear on this matter.

Leslie
          Participant

I didn’t do anything? At least I don’t think I did.

ABMoore22
          Participant

I dont think that was directed at you. lol. Zoo is laying down the law to Erick. Whoever that is for whatever he did. 🙂 The other comment was a little snarky though.

Leslie
          Participant

I guess I missed the comment that was mean? Was it on this thread?, or a different one? Haha I’m curious now, was it about me?

ABMoore22
          Participant

Idk, im curious too! lol. Just pretty sure zoo want talking to you. youve always been very polite.

Leslie
          Participant

I try to be polite or nice as possible. It doesn’t pay to be rude. It just causes more trouble. Now if someone is mean to me for no reason that is a different story.

ABMoore22
          Participant

I couldnt agree more. I’m the same way.

Zoodulcis

AB is correct. I apparently deleted it before you saw it. It was unpleasant and the sort of thing moderators have to look out for. You did nothing wrong.

ABMoore22
          Participant

We must have missed it. lol. Regardless if that’s the same person or not, its kinda rude to comment on someone elses post that theyre winning. But I dont think they are Erick (whoever that is), because they commented on the skateboard post about him. I think its wonderful that you guys offer for people to win free feeders, wish more people appreciated it and treated this site with the respect it honestly deserves. Its kept very nice here with pleasant people. Thanks for keeping it that way!

Zoodulcis

Thanks! I guess I must have gotten to that post pretty quick. No need for more ick in the world than there already is. And your positive input is so very much appreciated.

ABMoore22
          Participant

I agree. And thank you. Leslie and I liked it here so much, we chose to keep coming back to this forum. A first for me, actually. Usually don’t comment at all elsewhere.

Leslie
          Participant

Gotta love being able to find anything. Zoo I’m just going to call you Zoo. In all honesty I am not doing that. Why would I? I have stated several times I am not here for the contest. If I win then good if not then I don’t care. In fairness why would I do that? I would NOT cheat at a free contest. I just come here for the same reasons as AB. I like reading and learning new things about my lizard. I am registered on a few bearded dragon forums but I haven’t gone back to them cause they take forever to respond and this site just seems better and has more knowledgeable people that is willing to help. So once again, that is not me, I would never cheat to win something.

Leslie
          Participant

Hey Zoo. The more I think about it the madder I get. You can go ahead and delete this thread picture and all. To be honest it was never about the contest for me. Since I’m being called a cheater go ahead and delete it.

Zoodulcis

Don’t be upset about one person’s snarky complaint. The fact is, you are very close winning, and someone doesn’t like that. Too bad for them, I say. There really is no way to cheat. I don’t blame you for being upset, but I don’t think you should cave into them. Besides, they have no power in this matter, so just try to ignore them for now.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Yeah, I wouldn’t worry so much about it. And if she deletes your post you wont be able to post or comment here anymore until you make another account with a new email.

I wouldn’t fall for the school yard tricks going on here. lol. There’s always going to be people who try to get a rise out of you. The trick is to let them look like a fool while they keep trying and you just care so little about them you go on about your day. (I have an uncle like this, works like a charm on him!)

We are aware that you are working to get your votes just like everyone else who has a large amount. Its easier for some people who are more social to get more votes. Your’e doing the same thing I did, asking family and a few close friends (and whoever they can get to vote). I won that way without cheating, you will too.

Zoodulcis

Yeah, what she said. And I will not block any posts until the end of the month. Apparently, the website algorithms have enough to worry about right now without me provoking them. I did delete one post to you that was not you. I felt it was necessary.

Leslie
          Participant

I have 2 brothers and 4 sisters also 17 nieces and nephews and 6 great nieces and nephews. I know most of them voted and they put it on their social media.

Anyway I bought Horny blackberries today. He does not like them, but he loves blueberries. If I put them side by side he chooses the blueberries and doesn’t seem to care for the blackberries. I guess no more blackberries for him. I even bought him a green pepper and yellow pepper but of course he only eats the green pepper.

Zoodulcis

I wonder if it’s the seeds or the taste? Although lots of beardies love raspberries, and they have external seeds. But, since blueberries are better for him anyway, it’s not a big deal.

Leslie
          Participant

I always said if someone accuses you of doing something, it is most likely the person doing the accusing that is the guilty person. So far it seems to be true. I’m not going to argue about it. So the person that accused me must be doing it if it is being done at all.

Zoodulcis

Again, it’s impossible to cheat in this contest, so it’s best for all parties just to let it go.

Viewing 6 reply threads