Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Cricket Contest

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts 4 Favorite

Kristen Heightshoe
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

Hey mom let me play with your hair! He’s so silly sometimes!

Zoodulcis

And you are patient with him. Has he always had a tendency to go the hair?

Kristen Heightshoe
        Participant

That was the first time he went to my hair and I moved him and he just went right back. I am always hot so he likes the extra heat lol.

Zoodulcis

It is kind of you to accomodate him. Does he ever accidentally scratch your forehead?

Kristen Heightshoe
          Participant

No he hasn’t scratched my forehead yet. Thankfully he is actually very gentle around my face. However my arms are tore up lol!

Zoodulcis

Interesting that he is able to make that distinction. Your poor arms!! Have you thought of trimming his nails?

Kristen Heightshoe
          Participant

I’m scared to. I need to and want to I just get so worried cause they are so tiny and I don’t know how he will react to it. My dogs hate when I do it but will let the groomers. lol I wonder if the groomer would trim his nails 😂😂 I’m going to I just have to get up the courage

Zoodulcis

Fear not, you can do this. I have trimmed everything from the beaks of raptors to the feet of draft horses.

With a pair of your own nail clippers, at a time he is relaxed, just get him into your hand and manipulate his little toes, one at a time. He may be weirded out at first, or he may be chill. When it seems right, clip only the tiny sharp bit off of one claw only. No need for a full-on pedicure. Then the next time he is out, and you are holding him, do the same thing, with a different toe. This is called habituation. He will become used to this action, and over time will not be stressed even when you do all of his claws at once. Be patient, be slow, and eventually he will just accept that this happens every so often and that it doesn’t mean the end of his world.

Back in the day, before the Ph.D. I used to groom dogs and trim their nails all the time. I never got bit and never made them bleed. Now I teach workshops on trimming goat hooves. It is an artform, but not rocket science. Bear in mind that the ends of his little claws have no more blood or nerves than the end of your own fingernails. Damaging the quick should be avoided, but nipping off the end will come nowhere near the quick.

If you need more guidance on this, just ask. Always happy to help.

Kristen Heightshoe
          Participant

Thanks!!!

Danielle
          Participant

That’s great advice about the nails. I’m also nervous so I opted to file them instead and it works pretty well.

I also want to caution you that I got a staph infection from a scratch that I didn’t clean properly recently. It was totally my fault bc he always scratches me and I didn’t think anything of it so I moved on instead of cleaning it immediately so be careful

Kristen Heightshoe
          Participant

Of course! I had the vet cut his nails and show me what to do so I feel more confident for when he needs them next.

Danielle
          Participant

Awesome

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});