Topics Forums Crested Geckos Cricket Contest!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Rachel
      Participant
      Cricket Contest!

Greetings! I am Felini, a 4-year old crested gecko! This is my cave made of cork and one of my favorite places to hunt crickets, my favorite snack… more crickets, please!!

Attachments:

ABMoore22
      Participant

So pretty. Love the natural hiding spot. Is this beauty the only reptile ya got?

Rachel
        Participant

Thank you :). No she lives with 3 siblings, and in the “gecko condo” on one side are her parents, and on the other side are 3 other siblings. We are not breeders, but the parents decided to have a bunch of babies in the span of a few years. Thankfully I think we are done with more geckos but they are all great eaters! πŸ˜€

ABMoore22
          Participant

Awesome. Would you say they are easily handled? Or does it seem to stress them out? I got a little bit of everything and would like to know in case I come across one needing rescued. Cresties are something i think i may keep as a permanent pet if I come across one needing a home.

Rachel
          Participant

Honestly I don’t think any reptile really likes being handled all that much, so I have always minimized that. But I’ve had many geckos for decades and they all have different personalities and some are much more interested in interacting than others. The “dad” gecko here is very social and comes out for a walk around the top of the terrariums every night, and none of the others like to do that and seem more skittish. I’ve had the mom and dad the longest (16 years now) so they are more used to handling, but in my opinion I wouldn’t expect to do much of that, for their stress as you say, and also they can be injured easily. Given all that, my crested geckos seem very easy relative to, say, day geckos, and seem to thrive on a varied diet of crickets, fruit, and crested gecko diet, without many issues at all! I hope that’s helpful and you can take in any rescues!

ABMoore22
          Participant

Thank you, yes. Ive seen some online that willingly come out to their owners, so was curious if thats just how they are. We don’t usually handle daily. Maybe weekly-few times a month, depending on what type of reptile. Our Leopard Gecko runs up my arm to come out when we dont take him out enough. lol. I just enjoy letting my reptiles out to explore and see new plants, I make little jungle areas every so often with my plants. So that’s more so what I’d like to do if I had one. I gave ya some extra votes since you have a few pets, hope you win and it helps. (Few more later in the week) Love to see see some of your set ups!

Rachel
          Participant

Oh thank you so much for the votes! That is very kind!! Yes we have a lot of geckos LOL, and they all would really love a year’s supply of crickets!
          I think taking them out sounds so great, unfortunately I don’t think our climate (we are in North Carolina) is very conducive to them, plus I would be nervous something would get them when my back was turned, we also have chickens and they are serious predators! I also love leopard geckos and they are super friendly too, and it’s great yours is so social. What’s funny is when I went to get a new gecko (it was 16 years ago in San Diego) I was only going to get 1, and was about to buy the female (the mom) when the future dad was looking up at me and seemingly begging for me to meet him, and his personality is the same to this day! They are very special. πŸ™‚ … I can try and upload a photo of one of the terrariums, will need to take it in daylight so you can see their set up!

ABMoore22
          Participant

Youre welcome, I understand! And that’d be great, thank so much. I agree about outside, I was referring to plants indoors. I keep my tropical plants in pots so i cant bring them back inside in the winter. (we’re in ohio, so random weather in winter)

Rachel
          Participant

Oh haha, that makes more sense :)… I have been using silk plants for a long time because the live ones seem to get very buggy, but I’m also not a green thumb so not the best judge of plants LOL. But the geckos seem to like the silk leaves and the vines they come on (those are plastic or a viney-like material) and they are easy to clean, too.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Lol. Whatever works best! I normally use both. But prefer live. Pothos is my go-to plant for reptile cages. Theyre safe, viney and easy to keep alive because they can stand low or high humidity.

Rachel
          Participant

Thank you for the tip, I will check them out!

Rachel
          Participant

ABMoore- here are two of my terrariums. I use coconut fiber substrate and driftwood/bark/cork for climbing and dΓ©cor. One surprise is that they all love the reptile hammocks! … The third terrarium is very similar but shorter and taller.

ABMoore22
          Participant

thank you! i love the natural looking set ups and yours look great. now i know what to aim for

Rachel
          Participant

πŸ™‚

Zoodulcis

Gorgeous face. Very kissable but I bet he wouldn’t like it. With all those geckos I can see why free crickets could come in real handy! Have you separated the mom and dad permanently as a form of birth control, or has one gone away?

Rachel
        Participant

Thank you! No I would never separate the parents. They grew up together and are bonded. They are just older now so might be done with reproducing, but they are still very much together!

Zoodulcis

Fingers crossed, but if you are mistaken, you will be needing even more crickets!

Rachel
          Participant

Ha! May be mistaken. But then I can show pictures of the babies begging for crickets ;-).

Zoodulcis

Now that I would truly like to see that posted.

Got a gecko question on behalf of another forum member…if a crestie that is still quite young seems to have a face that is developing asymmetrically, is there anything that a new and inexperienced owner should be aware of? Any special course of action? Has this situation ever happened to you?

Rachel
          Participant

πŸ™‚ babies are indeed super cute!

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});