Topics Forums Chameleons Cricket Contest

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Sarah Sage
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

Hello! My name is Spackle.

I am about one year old and love to lounge all day. My mom and dad sometimes let me crawl all over their houseplants, one of my favorite things to do! Recently I outgrew my baby cage and my humans built a GIANT enclosure for me. During the day, I like to watch the kids play outside from my window and I turn lime green while I watch the sun set in the evenings. I’m not like most chameleons: I despise my humidifier and inisisted on drinking from a water dish instead. Don’t judge me, I do what I want, when I want, because I’m the happiest (yet also moodiest) chameleon!

ABMoore22
      Participant

He looks so good. And happy, if I might add. We just got a baby male Veiled (we think no more than 3-5 months old) who’s just learning to walk out on our hands on his own. Any tips you think I should know? (I did a lot of research, but I find its always best to ask) Its interesting how he drinks from a dish. So far I haven’t seen ours drink and he has a dripper, gets misted and has a waterfall. Fogger will be here this week. He may just be doing it when were not around.

Sarah Sage
        Participant

Congrats! Other than the normal humidity, temp, and vitamins info you’ve gotten elsewhere, I’d say the best advice I can give is: take them out often to socialize. In summer, we let ours run around in the grass outside (supervised of course). It’s good to get them out of their home and climb other plants. Ours used to be aggressive until we started doing this about 6 months ago. He’s still moody, but in general seems way happier.

ABMoore22
          Participant

That’s good to hear. We were planning to take him out at least a few days of the week. I set up about 5 different huge plants together to make an ‘out of cage exploring area’ and i have a big garden outside I had planned to let him play in during warm months. Im glad to hear that choice would be the correct call. Thank you!

Zoodulcis

This sounds like the training and socializing protocol that I would use. Plus it gets the owners into the outdoors as well!

ABMoore22
          Participant

For sure. We love outdoors and looking forward to letting him explore as much as possible. Our Cham puffed up and hisses at my fiance for the first time the other day (he moved too fast when placing hand in enclosure to get him used to it), now he thinks Rexxar doesnt like him. haha. Our Leopard Gecko did that little scream at me once too, now he comes when called. So, dont think he doesnt like him. Pretty sure he’s just a baby and got startled. lol. 😛

Zoodulcis

I concur. I think your new cham will forgive him. One thing he might do is put his hand in and out of the habitat super slowly three times daily for the next week. No contact with Rexxar. This is called habituation. It will speed up the forgiveness process.

ABMoore22
          Participant

That’s what he was doing and just moved too fast. Rexxar is already back to climbing on our hand when its feeding time. I set my hand in his cage and show him a bug on tongs. Out of his tongues reach so he has to walk on my hand to eat it. Then I slowly take him from the cage, just a foot or two. Then he eats all his food on someones hand, once done go goes right back in. The goal is for him to associate hands (and us) with good things like food and new plants to explore.

Zoodulcis

Oh that’s good news. Sounds like he recovered from his small fright very quickly. That right there is a great indication that he has a flexible and loving personality. What fun he is going to be!

ABMoore22
          Participant

That’s what we’re hoping for. We try to build trust with all our pets. Not only because they’re more fun to interact with but if you ever need to take them to the vet, you can do so peacefully! Appreciate everyones advice. We’re completely new to Chameleons, though we’ve read a lot about them, you see all their funny little quirks when you actually get them.

ABMoore22
        Participant

Still havent seen him drink but did see him eat a tiny bit of pothos plant so we added some collard greens in and misted them and he LOVES them. Does anyone know if he can have as much as he wants or is a certain amount too much? And they will help give him hydration, right?

Zoodulcis

As long as he is mad about greens that are low in oxalic acid, you can’t go wrong. Don’t get carried away with Kale or Spinach, but collard greens in abundance should be fine at this stage.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Okay, thanks!

Zoodulcis

Happy Thanksgiving Spackle, and I must say, your’s is the funniest name I have heard on this forum in weeks. What is it you do when you are moody?

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});