Topics Forums Leopard Geckos Cricket contest

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Nicole sargent
      Participant
      Cricket contest

This is Dot, the leopard gecko. He loves to be held and have time to roam outside of his cage. He also allows my daughter to hand feed him. He’s pretty special to us.

Zoodulcis

He looks pretty chill. Did you get him specifically for your daughter, or is he more of a whole family pet?

Nicole sargent
        Participant

She picked him out and bought him with her birthday money. She also purchased his accessories all by herself. I help feed him and clean his cage, but she does her part and helps out too. She does the most important job of helping him shed because he needs help with his toes 🙂

Zoodulcis

I was hoping that was the case! There is much research to show that caring for any pet in childhood creates a more empathic adult in later years. And that has to be a good thing!

Nicole sargent
          Participant

My child is an animal lover and she is super empathetic—-almost too caring to where she gives her things away and is always thinking about others before herself. Sometimes I have to just tell her to enjoy her things or take time for herself to do what she wants. It sounds crazy, but this kid is something else. She cries for dead animals that she doesn’t even know—like ones that have been killed in the road. She really amazes me with her emotional maturity.

ABMoore22
      Participant

Aw, I love this. My sons the same way with his Gecko. And the shedding issues may just be due to a humid/moist hide. Do you have one in the tank or put on in when you notice his color looking faded/white/gray? They’re easy to make if you need the info. (You may already have one, i dont know. Just trying to be helpful)

Nicole sargent
        Participant

Yes, he has a moist hide that we keep in the cage all of the time. We make sure it is moist daily. The only issues he has with the toes is that tiny bits of skin stay wrapped around them. He actually lost all of his toes on one foot one time, and I read on some blogs that this happens a lot! I had no idea!! So, I assumed it must be normal for some geckos, but then again, I am not entirely sure. I appreciate your comment and suggestion. I am happy to report that since we started helping with his toe shed, his toes have all grown back and all of his feet are healthy. We were devastated when we saw the necrotic tissue but were very quick to act and step in to fix it.

Zoodulcis

Good information for us to have, Nicole, that the toes can actually grow back with proper care. Toe loss in shedding is pretty common, unfortunately, but you are the first member to mention that they grow back. What amazing animals!

I really resonate with your daughter. Once, when walking to the grocery store as a little kid, I saw a dead cat in the road. Hit by a car. I was so distraught that all thoughts of the store were gone, and I ran home to announce to my parents that cars were cruel and we had to stop driving immediately. They managed to calm me, but I have never been wild about cars ever since. I have always driven slowly with an eye out for animals, even as a teen.

The good news for her is that highly empathetic people tend to do well in life and often attain advanced degrees (such as moi). My cousin loved all reptiles and eventually attained a Ph.D. in herpetology, so there you go.

Any other household pets, or is he an only lizard? And if she wants to share her experiences with him or other animal topics on this thread, she is welcome to do so. Children are not excluded, only mean people and those selling something.

ABMoore22
          Participant

That’s great! (Id assume that his shedding would become easier each time since he now has one. If he was bought at a pet shop, they usually dont even offer one.) I love hearing about how sweet your little girl is. I was so similar as a child. I still to this day take in any pets I can properly care for (and afford) to rescue and rehome. (sometimes just keep if its had a particularly hard time) So, im sure youll be getting many of the, “Mom, guess what I got?!” Phone calls in the future! 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});