Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Cricket Contest!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Camdyn
      Participant
      Cricket Contest!

He’s gotten so much bigger! I got him when he was a couple weeks old and now he’s a few months old. He eats a LOT of crickets so the free crickets would really help me out and help me feed him more variety of bugs!

Munchie93
      Blocked

I know the feeling of them eating a lot. Mine goes through the 500 box of crickets in about a week. Those are the half inch crickets. I was at my local petstore today and got some adult 1 inch crickets to see how Horny does. He seems to eat them with no problem and not as many. So I might have to start getting the adult crickets. It seems like with the smaller crickets he just doesn’t get full and will eat all day if he could.

Zoodulcis

Larger crickets can save a little money. Just be sure to stick to ‘the face rule.’ Never try to feed anything larger than the space between the eyes.

If he is growing that fast, you’re doin’ good! What do you dust his food with?

Munchie93
        Blocked

I dust his food with this stuff. I always forget what it’s called. I dust his crickets 1-2 times a week. I put the crickets in a bag along with the powder and shake them then just dump in his cage.
        He will even eat the extra powder that is sitting at the bottom.

The bigger crickets would save money if they weren’t $3-4 a dozen at the local petstore. The adult crickets are the same size as the space between his eyes or at least very close.now Hornys heat bulb just burned out and he is goin crazy and I can’t get another one til tomorrow.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Munchie93.

Munchie93
          Blocked

I would also like to see how he does with a pinky mouse but don’t know if it would be to big for Horny or not,even though the adult crickets are about the same size as a pinky mouse. What do you think?

Camdyn
          Participant

I wouldn’t feed a pinky even if your bearded dragon was an adult. Definitely NOT a juvenile.

Zoodulcis

I agree with Camdyn, too soon for pinkies. When you get your bulb, order a second one right away. Old bulbs are less effective at providing the proper UV anyway, but if you have a second one on hand, you never need to panic. Neither does he. Always change bulbs after about 6 months, even if it isn’t burned out yet.

Munchie93
          Blocked

I had the bulb less than a month, i didn’t think it would burn out that fast. I always try to have a spare on hand. I thought I would have been good for a few more days before I got another one.
          Whats wrong with feeding pinky mice to them like once a month? A person I talk to works at the Australian Zoo and she said she feeds them pinky mice or bigger depending on the size of the dragon she feeds them mice once a week. I’m just curious.

Zoodulcis

Pinky mice are fine for adults. They are not terribly nutrious and very fatty. Best not to feed those until after 7 months of age. Otherwise, go fo it.

Munchie93
          Blocked

I wasn’t trying to sound like an a—- I was just curious as to why some say it’s fine and others say not to do it.

Zoodulcis

Please see post under Camdyn’s thread.

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});