Topics Forums Everything Else Cricket contest

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Keri Olsen
      Participant
      Cricket contest

My son researched and saved his money to buy his first bearded dragon. He was quickly named Scooby once we discovered how much he liked to eat crickets

Zoodulcis

Mutual kind regard, a nice way to bond. Who is responsible for purchasing all of those Scooby snacks, parents or child?

Keri Olsen
        Participant

Funny you should ask lol I just posted this picture on my FB page yesterday. My son has picked up extra chores to pay for crickets and other supplies Scooby needs

Keri Olsen
          Participant

I’m so proud of him. 🙂

Zoodulcis

And so you should be. There are several studies pertaining to school-aged children in 4-H and FFA that indicate that as young adults their earlier youth experiences caring daily for livestock predispose them for greater life success and less at-risk types of behaviors. I strongly feel the same is true for pet care as well, and I love it when parents don’t enable their kids to have all the benefits of pets and none of the work or responsibility.

Keri Olsen
          Participant

Cool. I did not know there were studies showing that correlation. I’ve always believed it teaches responsibility and empathy. My husband and I grew up with pets and we wanted our children to have those same experiences. There is something to be said about having a buddy you can always talk to.

Zoodulcis

I know right! I take to my goats all the time.

Empathy is a huge variable in many of the studies involving early childhood pet ownership and healthy development of empathy in adulthood. Oddly enough, one study I read showed no significant association between considering pets as family members and talking to them about one’s problems. Most adults high in self-reported pet attachment feelings were high in considering them just as important as any other family member, but did not report a tendency to confide their problems to them. That study was conducted among adults, not sure at this time if similar studies have been conducted with minors.

I know I run thoughts and issues by my goats when we’re hiking, so maybe I’m 3 sigma on the confiding in pets scale!🤣

Keri Olsen
          Participant

😂

Keri Olsen
          Participant

Wait I just realized I completely missed the hiking with goats as in plural. They really go hiking? Do they follow along like a dog? Are they leashed? I must know more because I’m picturing taking them along a forest hiking trail. I would love to encounter a hiker with goats!

Zoodulcis

Greetings Keri,

The goats are obedience trained and deeply bonded to their handlers, so no leads necessary. Attached is a photo of a typical Rocky Mountain expedition in Wyoming.

Is your son still giving Scooby the very best attention? Will Scooby be helping him with remote learning tasks this semester, or will he be at home pining for his buddy’s return from the classroom?

Keri Olsen
          Participant

That is so cool. I had no idea they could carry a pack and be so well trained.

I think my son will be missing Scooby when he is at school (fingers crossed). We have already talked about moving his desk into his room so Scooby can hang out with him while he is doing schoolwork.

Zoodulcis

That’s a great idea. That way Scoopy can help him with his biology homework 🤣

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});