Topics Forums Lizards Cricket Contest!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

BM22
      Participant
      Cricket Contest!

All these little guys live together in an all natural Paludarium with two green tree frogs. We saw “Feeder” lizards in the pet shop and bought all they had. Three Anoles and two House Geckos. They all sit together and get along well, thankfully.

The Geckos like to hide when you are near, then pop their little heads out to watch you. The Anoles are getting so used to us they come up to the glass to see what we’re doing. They’ve come a long way from being terrified of everything and sold to be eaten to quirky, curious pets. Crickets add up quickly in a set up like this!

New here, I don’t really expect to win, though it’d be nice! I wanted to let everyone know that multi-species terrariums are possible, IF you get a large enough set up with different heat options and hiding places for the animals to choose from AND getting animals with very similar needs, watching closely for any signs of aggression. All of our animals (2 American Green Tree frogs, 3 Anoles, 2 House Gecko’s) are healthy, explore the entire tank, sit together and eat peacefully. Meanwhile, I’m just happy they weren’t fed to something else.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by BM22.
      Attachments:

Zoodulcis

Great information!! How big is their enclosure, in terms of gallon size?

BM22
        Participant

Pretty sure it’s a 55 gallon tank, at least. Can’t tell well, but it has a waterfall in the fish tank part for consistent humidity and a bunch of hiding places build into the back wall. I plan on adding a custom extension to make the warm side taller. We also have 2 Hermit Crabs in it since the lizards don’t really use the bottom. I’ve seen the Hermits climb and literally sit with the Lizards with no issues. These species seem to get along very well and all have very similar care. We added Isopods and Springtails too. What began as a feeder rescue pretty much turned into a mini ecosystem. lol

Attachments:

Zoodulcis

Haha…I know the feeling. Sometimes an innocent adventure of dabbling one’s toes in a new endeavor can turn into a lifetime, all-consuming passion. So the habitat they are in was custom built by someone else, and now you are going to expand it yourself, is that correct?

BM22
          Participant

That’s so true. Haven’t had reptiles in years so I was happy to get more. But no, I custom built the enclosure from an old tank a neighbor gave me. lol. Always wanted to make one, so I just dived right in. This was the tank when i first got it. With the lid i made for it.

Attachments:

Zoodulcis

Oh I see… and that there are some right nice carpentry skills. What fun and what a ton of work! Is this a COVID lockdown thing or were you planning on this for a year or so prior?

BM22
          Participant

Thanks. Took a while to finish. Pretty much just spur of the moment after getting the lizards.

Zoodulcis

So you had them in something smaller and felt the need to expand. Sounds like something of a perpetually ongoing project. Are you content with your multi-species crew as they stand, or are you considering additions at some point?

BM22
          Participant

Yeah, they were in a 20 gallon, but I wanted something as natural and spacious as i could offer. I plan on just keeping the guys i have in it. Dont think they’d be happy if i put too many more in it. Right now they all have their own area thats ‘theirs’.

Zoodulcis

I think that’s both wise and sensible and considers their needs. So, when you went into the pet store originally and saw that these guys were all ‘feeders’, did you buy them all on the spur of the moment to save them from that fate, or had you been thinking about it in advance?

BM22
          Participant

I already had a tree frog terrarium set up so i knew i could just put them in there until i had something more permanent, thankfully. But i had been wanting an all natural multi animal set up for years, just saw these little guys needing more space as a ‘reason’ to make one. Haha.

Ive added a few additions besides just the ‘rescues’, so everything has a friend that’s its own kind. Originally they sold me 1 male brown anole, 1 male green anole, 1 female green anole, 1 female house gecko. And i already had a tree frog. We now have 2 (male & female) American Green Tree Frog, 2 Female House Geckos, 2 (male & female) brown anole, 2 (male & female) green anole and two hermit crabs, Isopods and Springtails and a few snails for clean up crew. Plus a fish tank in the terrarium which has a betta with a few tetras, an algea eater, 2 african dwarf frogs and a few aquatic snails. I tried to make it as self sufficient as possible. Thinking about making a thread on here if anyone else wants info in how to do it. I did research on it for a few years before finally making it.

Attachments:
Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});